• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 64 3000+ Venice, Socket 754

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have not experience it but I would assume it'll be similar overclocking to the Sempron 64s or Venice 939.

Why not go 939? Cost is about the same now.

It looks like it would end up costing an extra $50 to go 939. ($40 cpu, $10 motherboard). This system only needs to get me by until the end of the year, when I should have more money.

Mustard Duster said:
It looks like it would end up costing an extra $50 to go 939. ($40 cpu, $10 motherboard). This system only needs to get me by until the end of the year, when I should have more money.

$30 to $50 sounds about right. The difference may be a little lower than $50 because you'll save in video card by going to PCI-E. PCI-E video cards are usually a little cheaper even though it's a better platform. 754 has PCI-E also but those are usually higher price boards.

If that difference is too much for you, then go for the 754 system. The 754 is not a bad system. The Venice should do around 2.5 to 2.7 with some good air cooling.

Keep in mind a couple things. One, 2.7Ghz in 754 platform is same as 2.5Ghz in 939 because of the dual memory controler. And two, once you have 754, there is no use to upgrade to the 939 because difference is only around 200Mhz in performance. For the cost so upgrading to go 939, it's either now or never. Basicaly it's cost you only $50 difference now or hundreds later.

<<Spider>> said:
$30 to $50 sounds about right. The difference may be a little lower than $50 because you'll save in video card by going to PCI-E. PCI-E video cards are usually a little cheaper even though it's a better platform. 754 has PCI-E also but those are usually higher price boards.

If that difference is too much for you, then go for the 754 system. The 754 is not a bad system. The Venice should do around 2.5 to 2.7 with some good air cooling.

Keep in mind a couple things. One, 2.7Ghz in 754 platform is same as 2.5Ghz in 939 because of the dual memory controler. And two, once you have 754, there is no use to upgrade to the 939 because difference is only around 200Mhz in performance. For the cost so upgrading to go 939, it's either now or never. Basicaly it's cost you only $50 difference now or hundreds later.
Thanks for the advice. If I go with 939 I would have to go with PCI-E. I'm not going to upgrade my video card just yet. I'm not that interested in gaming. This entire upgrade is only going to cost around $260. (cpu, motherboard, memory)

One more question. If I get the chip up to 2.7Ghz, would that be about the same as a 939 Venice 3800+ (2.4Ghz)?

You don't have to do PCI-E but you should. It's the new platform and the AGP is beging to cost more if you are wanting to upgrade your video card.

There are also plenty of 939s in AGP. If you have an AGP now you can get the Asrock SATA2 mobo. It's perfect for your situation. It has AGP and PCI-E so if you want to upgrade to PCI-E later, you can without having to buy a new motherboard. It's also a great overclocking budget mobo (with mod bios).

Back