• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI 7800GTs/7900GTs vs. X1900XT/X ... which wins performance wise?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerlAddict

I searched around a bit an expected it to be an easy to find answer, but I didn't see it, so I'm asking ... how will the performance be when comparing two 7800GTs to an X1900XTX? (And is the only difference in the XT and the XTX the clock speeds? Any reason to spend the extra money for an XTX instead of just OCing an XT?)

How about two 7900GTs? Will they outperform an X1900XTX? I realize that answer will involve some speculation, since they're not out yet, but just looking for an educated conclusion.

I run games at 1920 x 1200 and would like to turn up the eye candy as much as possible. I know a lot of people are down on SLI, but being that I run in the upper-resolution margin of gamers, I figured it might actually be a viable option.

I realize that a couple of 7900GTs will run a bit more than an X1900XTX (assuming they hit at the projected $299 retail price), but I'm willing to cough up $100 more if the performance will be better.

Also, can the X1900XT/X run in Crossfire? Thought I read somewhere that it couldn't, but I wasn't sure.

Thanks for any info, guys.

PerlAddict said:
I searched around a bit an expected it to be an easy to find answer, but I didn't see it, so I'm asking ... how will the performance be when comparing two 7800GTs to an X1900XTX? (And is the only difference in the XT and the XTX the clock speeds? Any reason to spend the extra money for an XTX instead of just OCing an XT?)

How about two 7900GTs? Will they outperform an X1900XTX? I realize that answer will involve some speculation, since they're not out yet, but just looking for an educated conclusion.

I run games at 1920 x 1200 and would like to turn up the eye candy as much as possible. I know a lot of people are down on SLI, but being that I run in the upper-resolution margin of gamers, I figured it might actually be a viable option.

I realize that a couple of 7900GTs will run a bit more than an X1900XTX (assuming they hit at the projected $299 retail price), but I'm willing to cough up $100 more if the performance will be better.

Also, can the X1900XT/X run in Crossfire? Thought I read somewhere that it couldn't, but I wasn't sure.

Thanks for any info, guys.

My personal opinion is you would be better off buying the single X1900 XTX card vs. the 7800GT SLI setup. The performance would be relatively equal but I am assuming the price may be a little higher on the two GT's.

As far as the 7900GT, I will have no advice on that card until it is released in early March.

Dom

well an x1900xt performs similar to a 7800gtx 512mb. The 7900gtx will be ahead. Two 7800gt should as well.

I thought the X1900XT/X was ahead of the 7800GTX by a good ways. Maybe I was just thinking of the 256MB version, though I wouldn't expect a huge performance increase in the 512MB one. Plus the 512MB costs twice as much, doesn't it?

I'm considering buying a couple of 7800GT's right now and then using Evga's step-up policy to upgrade to the 7900GT's when they hit the shelves.

I need a graphics solution NOW, though, and I want whichever will perform the best since both solutions are relatively close in price (as opposed to the price difference in an X1900XT/X and a 7800GTX). The 7800GT's seemed like a good move since I can have good cards for a month or two, and then step up to the 7900GTs, making the 7800GT purchase now an investment rather than something I'll have to turn around and sell off to try and get better cards in a month that will outperform the X1900XTX.

Nice. That's what I was hoping for, especially with the ability to step up to 7900GTs in a month which should really kick out some pretty stuff at super-high res gaming.

Thanks for the link!

the 7800GTX 512 isn't just 256mb more RAM, it's a much more beastly card with incredibly more aggressive RAM speeds (and core too I believe).

I think the X1900XT though is still slightly better than the 7800GTX 512 though as well.

As far as SLI goes...I'd think it would take 2 7800GTX 256's to par the 7900GTX and possibly GT, (and I base that off trends with the 6600 and 6800 series to the 7800 series.

ajrettke said:
As far as SLI goes...I'd think it would take 2 7800GTX 256's to par the 7900GTX and possibly GT, (and I base that off trends with the 6600 and 6800 series to the 7800 series.
This is probably a really naive question but . . . .

Wouldn't the jump from 7800 to 7900 be more like the change from 6600 to 6800 rather than from 6800 to 7800 just based on the model numbers? . . . I'm just thinking that it seems that whenever the first number in the model changes (like from 6800 to 7800) then you have a whole new architecture. . . . But when the second number changes (like from 6600 to 6800 or from 7800 to 7900) then you don't really have a totally new architecture. . . .

I guess I'm also basing this on the fact that (as far as I remember) the performance increase from a 6600 to a 6800 is not even close to the increase from 6800 to 7800. The new architecture of 7xxx was a huge step up from 6xxx. . . The new 7900 isn't going to be a new architecture. It's not even going to have more pipeliness. . . . So I'm thinking that's it's not going to be that significantly greater than the 7800 series, and that two 7800GTXs would probably beat a single 7900GT/GTX. . . .

Again, if I'm totally wrong here, I hope someone would correctly me quickly. :)

Back