• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire X800GTO 512MB??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MeatTheEB

Anybody have any experience with this card (linl)? I'm considering picking it up, it seems a very good deal, but I wouldn't be suprised if there were some kind of catch. I've seen no posts or reviews on this video card, so me = :confused:

I ordered the 128mb version should be here friday. I don't think there is much catch, though there is really no need for 512mb of video ram. The 256mb versions seem to clock well though

Wow that seems like a sick deal, it should overclock really well and the price is low. That extra memory will help you gain more fps because it will render textures alot better than 256 of memory. You might be able to flash it to 16.

dicecca112 said:
there is really no need for 512mb of video ram. The 256mb versions seem to clock well though
hehe try a x1900xt or xtx then say theres no need for 512 vid ram...this thing cr4ps on my old x800xt from a great height

The memory on this 512 GTO is not going to be as fast as the normal cards(high nanosecond rating).

Looking at the photo, the electronic components look to be cheap(nice cooler though).

I chose the 512MB version because it was pretty much identical in price to the 256MB version. I don't nessicarily need to overclock the **** out of it, as it's plenty fast stock, and the 2GB of RAM and 3700+ will help her out.

As far as games not using 512MB of VRAM... Doom 3, with ease, and I am willing to bet that Oblivion will use just as much. Oh, and I understand this isn't nearly as "nifty" or "useful" as 512MB VRAM would be on an X1900XTX or a 7800GTX, but I don't have $570 or $750, sorry.

I was looking for a card in the $150-$180 PCIe range and noticed the x800GTO stock was about as fast as a 6800GS, but the card I mentioned is $20 than the GS I was looking at, and has the extra VRAM.

What is also curious is that Sapphire's website has no info on this card. NewEgg and (particularly) it's vendors sometimes lie about specs, for instance the x1600 Pro has 12 pipelines... only 4 are pixel pipelines, and ATI somehow magically appears with 12 pixel pipelines on the spec sheet. I was afraid the same might be true for this card... I want a TRUE 12 pixel pipelines, not 4 or 8 and the rest faked.

MeatTheEB said:
it's plenty fast stock
You might think it is, but in stock form, it will struggle with newer games(and not so new games like Doom 3).....try playing F.E.A.R. or COD2 with it, you'll be below 30fps with medium/low graphics settings.

I say all of this with confidence, because I own a GTO, and the fact that my card overclocks like a mad dog, has been it's only redeeming factor.

Because I'm still on an AGP platform, I could not purchase a GTO2, and thinking the standard GTO would be a big upgrade from my 9800Pro was just plain stupid.

This card is for sale btw...

dicecca112 said:
no selling outside of classifieds, I'd delete that before a mod gets a hold of it
My post wasnt written to try and sell my card, and the comment I made was mainly to reinforce my displeasure with it.

Your not a moderator here so quit trying to act like one.

He wasn't trying to act like one... really, he could have been saving your butt in his eyes.

BUT... I do see what you mean by not trying to say that you're selling, and the one good reason is that you have 1 star, and I know yuo're not selling in the classies here... I dunno what a mod would say, but dicecca is a dedicated member, and didn't mean harm. :)

MeatTheEB said:
Can't the fan speed be adjusted?

I used ati tool to adjust the fan speed. You can definitely tell when I start playing games. It was too loud (whining) for me. I bought the Zalman cooler and could not be happier. Even onthe fast fan speed setting, it is still plenty quiet.

Back