• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Router?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pookyman

Not sure if this is the right section but anyways, I am looking for a new router because my router (a 2-3 year old Linksys) seems to limit the connection speed of my Comcast internet connection. Without the router I get roughly 7 mbps and with I get roughly 5 mbps. Any suggestions? Or is this normal?

With or Without wireless?

Router should not slow down connection but if two people are using same connection at the same time, that connection will slower vs single user.

Also some prgrams slow down connection. I used have bittorent killing my network, and it wasn't speed related just bittorrent make router go crazy.

What is you comacst connection 6M or 8M down?

I actually know what you're talking about!! I have comcast, and on the modem I was getting 6mb down, but on my Netgear wireless router I could only get 3mb. I bought the latest revision, and it still did it!

I looked around, and honestly I don't like any of the routers out now. I'm not too fond of Netgear after this thing, I've had too many friend's with D-Link problems, and the new revisions of Linksys are either too pricey or not good. If I had to buy a normal router, I'd say give Linksys another try. Do some research on your needs and what people have said.

I didn't like any of the retail options, so I build a smoothwall router from an old machine. Best thing I've ever done. Simple setup (once I read the install guide) and super fast. I now get 6mb down and full up speed on all my PC's, even wireless.

smoothwall is a linux based router at least to the best of my knowledge. Like everything else it has its advantages and disadvanteges. you need a pC to run it but It can be a p2 and would do superbly.

If your looking for a router try and get an linksys WRTG54 its basically a G-B based wireless router. the important thing is to get a version 1.0-3.X the 4.0 and higher versions are crapy. The older models allow you to flash the firmware to a much more advanced and configurable interface. I have had one for several years and can say with certainty that it is the best router for wireless and wired applications once flashed. Cisco and juniper products not included

EDIT: me = :beer:

I know people have had some bad luck with Dlink but I like them I just purchsed the 634M MIMO router and it works very well for me and many more options than I think I will ever use. I picked it up for $80 at Best Buy, they had a 30 off instant rebate.

Back