• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spam Filter Software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thespis377

What spam software do you, your company or school use, if any?

The University I work for uses a product called CanIt. It works extremely well. It uses several standard e-mail scanning technologies out there and also uses ClamAV to scan for viruses. I get 0 spam at my work addresses. And I only get maybe 5 false positives a week. Usually they are from mailing lists, but after about a month of training the e-mails are learned as legit. Anyway, I'm just interested at what people use.

Spamassassin. Use it as part of plesk, a commercial hosting package at work. Also at work we use MX Logic's Email Defense System... it's OK, it gets the vast majority of it, but it's a hosted system, so it works outside of our control, which kinda sucks. I use spamassassin on my personal mail server, with SARE and my own custom rules.

I've seen CanIt before.. too bad it's a shuttle appliance.. doesn't rack easily. If I had to pick a commercial system, I'd pick BrightMail.

We use a barracuda, I've had it deployed for 16 Months now - very easy to maintain, just a pita to initially get it 'trained'

Current Stats:
barracuda.JPG

Barracuda is one of the best deals out there, it's cheap and functional.. best of all, it comes rackmount. Not sure how good it is though. Had a couple customers who were interested in implementing it, but they never went through, or went with another solution.

su root said:
Barracuda is one of the best deals out there, it's cheap and functional.. best of all, it comes rackmount. Not sure how good it is though. Had a couple customers who were interested in implementing it, but they never went through, or went with another solution.

I had a Spamassain/Clam/Amavis setup for a couple of years and there is no comparisson. I have my barracuda set somewhat 'light' on the tagging/blocking scores, and we are still blocking ~87%, I suspect we can tighten the scoring and block an additional 5-8%.

Just time savings for the upkeep and maintenance of the barracuda compared to our homebrew setup has been enourmous.

We don't use the CanIt appliance. We use the installed software on a few Linux servers. Also, the CanIt appliance on their website looks like a 1U rackmount box. BrightMail is one of the companies we looked at, but it didn't scale that well for us. Also, we had to have a way for the end users to opt out if they wanted.

Back