• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why wont windows connect to the internet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

osiris999

ok a few days ago my internet stoped working. this is cable internet. i thought it might be my router so i plugged the modem strait to the pc and still it wont get online. i installed linux on the pc and the internet worked perfect. so i formated the harddrive and put a fhesh copy of windows xp pro on it and now the same thing. if i connect the modem to the pc through a usb cable it works but through the network card it doesnt. i tried reinstalling drivers and it didnt help. i know the network card works because i can go online just fine on linux. anyone have an idea?

theres the ipconfig results and i have tried other network cards and still the same error. right now im connected through usb.

your net still doesn't work? Oh I see your using USB but the network cards will not work. It appears to me that they are not getting an IP address through DHCP. Try disabling the USB completely and ping what ipconfig /all says the default gateway is. make sure the network adapter that is connected to the box is set to use dhcp and automatically obtain addresses in tcp/ip properties.

Last edited:
I would unplug the other network stuff, the 169 addresses. If windows sees three networks it will pick one to use, and only one of yours is an actual internet connection.

I don't know if this will help you at all, but in your tray in lower right hand corner I see the icon that means "Limited or no network connectivity". Sometimes after restarting I get that, and it gives me a screwed up IP. I have to go into the network connection and change the IP to the proper gateway (I give myself a static IP) and that fixes it. That would account for why it works without the router.

Back