• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unibonger

Hey, new to the forums they look great. Im sort of new to the OC scene, and need to upgrade my cooling.
The stock coolers on both of my MSI 6600GT td128e cards has fried once, and now im lookin to get a better cooler than replacing the stock fan/heatsink. Also my arctic cooling cpu heatsink/fan dont seem efficient enough to OC well, so i also want to upgrade that.
Ive come down to the VF700-CU and the Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 6. Only problem is I'm not sure if they will fit between the two of my cards. Also I was wondering if the Zalman CNPS9500 is a good heatsink for overclocking?

I'm not sure sbout fitting the vga coolers between your 6600gt's because the slot spacing may vary between motherboards(I think?). I do know the zalman 9500 is a good heatsink but I think most people would recommend a scythe ninja. It's cheaper and better according to everything I have read about it. If it turns out you don't have enough space between your vga cards for the coolers you want, look into the evercool vc-rf. There are some great reviews on it and it's fairly inexpensive and low profile. Don' put too much into those 6600gt's.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Evercool-VC-RF-pr-3229.html

Yea i know they'll be "outdated" in a very short while. But in SLI overclocked they should be able to sustain for a pretty good period of time. I looked into the scythes and im definately going to order one of those instead of the zalamanPS9500. But on retrospect, i could just have MSI replace the stock cooler, card is still under warrenty. They work'd pretty well, a max of 47c running BF2 at max resolution and high qualities.

I wouldn't call the 6600gt outdated. I just wouldn't spend too much on cooling.
I had the same card and they OC'd to 580\1150 with the stock hs. The vc-rf may be better and cheap at the same time. You would still be better off getting free replacements obviously, but if you wan't better for cheap the vc-rf may be the ticket.

Back