• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So, I think I'm gonna Dothan, but I need some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost_recon88

Senior Jedi Master
So, I bought some nice DDR-3200 DIMMs with the intention of building a AMD64 system. I was planning on getting a GTO2, and a Opetron 144 and ocing the heck out of it. Then I was like "why waste all this money on a single-core system that will probably be majorly outdated in a couple months". I was like, "I don't really need an insanely fast system now, just something to hold me over until the dual-core prices drop more, and until M2 comes out".
Thats when I started considering a Dothan setup. I already had my PSU, optical drive, HDD, case, and an XP-120 for my AMD64 setup. So, if I go Dothan, all I need is a mobo, adapter, and CPU. I found a P4P800-SE for under $100, a P-M 740 for $100, and am looking for an adapter. So, my question is this, how much faster (if at all) would say a 2.7GHz Dothan setup be against say, an Opetron 144 @ 2.6Ghz? Also, is there any advantage of getting a P-M 740 or say a 730? It's stock clock is 133MHz faster, but will that really make a difference when it comes to overclocking it?

I would go with a 740, they generally tend to clock better. No guarantees though. I would say that a 2.7GHz Dothan is about equivalent to a 2.9GHz A64 in general.

Yea, I heard that as well. However, I read that the latest BIOS allows you to change the multi of the CPU, can anyone confirm this? If so, I could set the multi pretty low, and crank the FSB up.

ghost_recon88 said:
Yea, I heard that as well. However, I read that the latest BIOS allows you to change the multi of the CPU, can anyone confirm this? If so, I could set the multi pretty low, and crank the FSB up.

yup

P4P800 SE bios 1009 and higher support multi change
I flashed my P4P800-E DELUXE with that bios with no hiccups :)

also I think (but i am not 100% sure) the latest p4c800-e deluxe bios supports multi change (bios 1023)

Last edited:
So, another question. What multipler options are available? Does it vary on the CPU? Is 12x always an option? Also, what is this PAT thing people are talking about, that seems to disable after going over 200MHz FSB?

ghost_recon88 said:
So, another question. What multipler options are available? Does it vary on the CPU? Is 12x always an option? Also, what is this PAT thing people are talking about, that seems to disable after going over 200MHz FSB?

BigToe did a pat mod a while back on the P4P800. It's intel's Preformance Acceleration Technology. Check the link in my sig (one of the "Check out my Guides, yo!") for the mod. The mod enables PAT at over 200fsb. It runs faster.

ghost_recon88 said:

yes multi varies on the CPU, and is only unlocked downwards meaning you can only go down from the default multiplier and not up
(for example, on the 750 you can only do 14x and down to 6x but not more than 14x)

default multi
730 = 12 * 133
740 = 13 * 133
750 = 14 * 133
760 = 15 * 133
770 = 16 * 133

as far as I know they all should OC about the same (2.7 - 2.9 on air or so)

Yeh.

The 200FSB thing, you will want to boot at 201FSB, to lock the 66/33 agp pci bus, so you can then overclock with clockgen within windows. For example, my bios settings are 9x201, then when windows has booted clockgen the FSB, this giving me my full overclock. You might be able to post as high as 250FSB, but I doubt you will get any higher than that, so you may need clockgen. If you dont boot at 201+ then when you try and overclock with clockgen, you will see the agp bus etc go up also.

Jimbob7 said:
Yeh.

The 200FSB thing, you will want to boot at 201FSB, to lock the 66/33 agp pci bus, so you can then overclock with clockgen within windows. For example, my bios settings are 9x201, then when windows has booted clockgen the FSB, this giving me my full overclock. You might be able to post as high as 250FSB, but I doubt you will get any higher than that, so you may need clockgen. If you dont boot at 201+ then when you try and overclock with clockgen, you will see the agp bus etc go up also.

201+ is only needed for ATI cards. AGP/PCI locks @ 200 for nVidia.

So, gotta boot at 201 to get the AGP/PCI lock to lock. Also, I'm gonna perform the PAT mod, so that way I still get that small boost. Now, theres nothing wrong with cranking the FSB up in the BIOS is there? You don't have to use ClockGen do you?

Sometimes you do, depending on your processor. A couple of my Dothans topped BIOS bootable at about 230-240MHz. I think one of them had trouble booting far past 220MHz. My best one had no trouble booting even at 260, never managed to max it. As long as you don't get really unlucky, there should be no need for clockgen. Full PAT really isn't necessary for 24/7 usage. My Dothans were always oced straight from the BIOS for daily usage, no BS with clockgen required.

Back