• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G Skill Extreme 2 Gig Kit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
What do you guys think of this kit?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231021

I am currently running Corsair XMS Twinx 2-Gig @ 233-1T @ 2.75volts
Currently get around 6700/6700 bandwith in sandra. It has been up to 270 with some stability @ 2.7 to 2.8volts. The highest I would recommend for day to day usage is 245 max.

I am looking to get some high Mhz 1T performance when the time comes for a Vapochill. Do you guys think this gskill is worth the upgrade for me if I ditch the XMS? Or should I just wait for the AM2 platform and get a speedy set of new age DDR2?

Thanks in advance,
Dom

Last edited:
That kit will get you running 1:1 past 250mhz but is it really worth it considering where your ram situation is currently at?

It's your money, but I don't think this would be a good way to spend it.

I bought this ram with high hopes, but I can't get them to do even 260mhz. They are great up to 250mhz, but don't seem to overclock much at all. (Some have had better luck, YMMV) Even without overclocking, it's a great value.

Thanks for the responses guys. I was thinking more along the lines of a DDR600 overclock to 300Mhz, but from your responses it looks as though these modules wont cut it. I guess waiting for AM2 might not be a bad idea.

Dom

my ballistix would hit ddr594 stable before but i had to RMA them, my G.Skill's max out around 280mhz but i really havent tweaked them enough to call that their official max. i dunno if its worth the upgrade, youre the only one who can be the judge of that. will you see a noticeable performance increase? probably not. i think am2 is going to be a while, i always wait to buy the new socket because they never have all the kinks worked out upon the release.

there's alot of threads on this ram...

mine do 273

some do more some do less

unless you cant reach ddr500 on your corsair sticks there's really no need to get these.

I ahve used these in a few builds and have had people get them for their machines and i think they are good sticks, back when I started wtht hem they were the only ddr500 2gb kit that didnt cost $300 and were about $225... I like them.

If i was buying ram now I dunno what I would get, everyone elses ram has come down to $200 range because of these very stix.

If i had to do it today I would check these out, cuz OCZ is just a badass company and I love their products
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227066

the cheapest ddr500 2gb kit they had back when i upgraded was $300 though lmao

I ordered these today, but I was upgrading from Mushkin Basic PC3200, which I paid about $50 less for after rebate a few months ago. Definitely worth it for me, in my opinion. I'm interested to see how these do.

Recently I heard a lot of good news with the HZ GSkills. My HZ's will arrive Monday and I will give you more feeback. People who have these are getting the 602's (S/N 0602XXXXXXXX) and have hit at least 260 ~280 MHz with Samsung UCCC chips, see here for detail specs.

Thanks for the responses guys. Rattle, what do you think the OCZ Gold 2-gig will max OC at? Pretty much the same as the Gskill 260 to 280?

Douglas and Sniper.nkc,
Definitely keep me posted about your OC results with the Gskill. It seems to be between Gskill Extreme now and OCZ Gold. So definitely let me know.

Thanks again,
Dom

zeimbo said:
my ballistix would hit ddr594 stable before but i had to RMA them, my G.Skill's max out around 280mhz but i really havent tweaked them enough to call that their official max. i dunno if its worth the upgrade, youre the only one who can be the judge of that. will you see a noticeable performance increase? probably not. i think am2 is going to be a while, i always wait to buy the new socket because they never have all the kinks worked out upon the release.
Can you post a link to these Ballistix sticks? Was the RMA issue wide spread from Overclocking or unit specific?

Thanks Zeimbo,

Dom

The OCZ's average a little better OC than the gskills.

I would stay away from those crucial sticks, people have done the RMA thang with them up to 3 times, they are junk.

Rattle said:
The OCZ's average a little better OC than the gskills.

I would stay away from those crucial sticks, people have done the RMA thang with them up to 3 times, they are junk.

Thanks for the info Rattle. :thup:

yeah there's very few people that got good ones from what I have seen and they were paying upwards of $300 for them :rolleyes:

I haven't tested it yet as new hardware and bleeding air out of the water loop and leak testing, should know something tomorow

Rattle said:
yeah there's very few people that got good ones from what I have seen and they were paying upwards of $300 for them :rolleyes:
I bought mine for 325 for seperate sticks. Their max was 266mhz, then they died. I rma'd through crucial and they gave me a matched set that did 290mhz which was awesome for a few months, then they died. I have sent them to newegg for an rma and since they're out of stock I should get a refund now.

I need to decide on new ram, the ocz in my sig is being returned also cuz I need atleast ddr500. That deal at fry's looks pretty good. I'll either get that or the g.skill hz's.

Back