• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 2006 Opteron 148 from Newegg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hughhefner

Playboy Wannabee
Just received my New CACJE 0601wpdw opteron 148 from newegg--YEAH!!

Going into my NF3 epox to replace my AMD64 3500 that tops out at 2.7 ghz no matter what voltage.

Cooling is with a thermalright si-90 with high speed delta 3 blade 92mm.

Wish me luck, anyone else seen these new steppings?

Last edited:
Well so far its a winner, I have to go to bed now, kids are sick and I have the early morning watch.

Si sandra benchmark passed 270 X 11 for 2970 3 passes 13,320/6008
.1 overvolt from stock

Not too shabby for right out of the box

I just got the exact same chip and stepping yesterday. Got my psu today, and just installed windows. The strange thing is that this cpu is 2.2 ghz, but when I checked in windows it said it was running at 2.0 ghz? :shrug: Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Good luck with your overclock, I hope mine goes well also.

0SER

0SER said:
I just got the exact same chip and stepping yesterday. Got my psu today, and just installed windows. The strange thing is that this cpu is 2.2 ghz, but when I checked in windows it said it was running at 2.0 ghz? :shrug: Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Good luck with your overclock, I hope mine goes well also.

0SER

what mobo and ram are you using

148 is 11x200 stock for 2200mhz

either your mobo is set for something else like 10x200 for 2000mhz or you ended up with a 146 instead...

I guess I have a '2006' Opteron. My 144 (so far) does 323x9 (2.9ghz) with only 1.44vcore.

Ohhhh, I see what I did. I have the Asus A8N-SLI Premium and 2x512 OCZ DDR 400 Platinum Rev.2. One stick failed memtest, so I guess I'll be getting that replaced. I set the OC setting in my bios as manual, and then I put the multiplier at 10x instead of 11x. Thanks for the keen observation.

0SER

Rattle said:
what mobo and ram are you using

148 is 11x200 stock for 2200mhz

either your mobo is set for something else like 10x200 for 2000mhz or you ended up with a 146 instead...

Well its topping out at 275X11 for 3025 with sandra scores of 13571/6105 with .175 overvolt

Eat your heart out FX57

Well its time to stress this thing for a few hours and see if it holds

Well its NOT stable at 3025 even for a few moments at 1.6v, IT LOADS WINDOWS BUT NOTHING MORE.

Runs well passes sandra continuous benchmarks and CPU stability test for 2 hours at 270X11 for 2970 with 1.525V

Needless to say I'm very happy with AMD and Newegg.

0SER said:
Ohhhh, I see what I did. I have the Asus A8N-SLI Premium and 2x512 OCZ DDR 400 Platinum Rev.2. One stick failed memtest, so I guess I'll be getting that replaced. I set the OC setting in my bios as manual, and then I put the multiplier at 10x instead of 11x. Thanks for the keen observation.

0SER

NP man glad it was a quick solution

and HEFF nice CPU !!

can i come hang out with the bunnies !!

You guys need to break these things in,try running Prime for about 8 hours, then memtest overnight, at a slightly lower value of voltage, ie if your clock is xxx at 1.5v, try testing at xxx at 1.525v. It does help.

I don't have anything installed except XP and antivirus-spyware yet.
It will be burned in over the next couple days for stability before I transfer critical data.
I just love how this chip FLEW right out of the box to 2970.

PhoenixOfChaos said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldnt that be reversed?

Also I think its possible to corrupt your os install by burning in, so becareful.

You will generally only corrupt your OS by running unstable memory clocks and not unstable CPU clocks.

CPU burn in should never corrupt an OS by itself.

Back