• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp90c, about to install..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Well, I can't find a proper fan for this anywhere, so I am just going to use a crappy no-name 80mm fan for now, but it should still be way better then my stock cooling on my Opty165 right?! The stock fan is only 70mm if I am not mistaken, and the HS is not as good, so I can't see how my temps wouldn't go down even with a crappy 10cfm 80mm fan.

In any case, I read the installation instructions on the xp90c, and it says I have to take the whole housing off the mobo? The one that surrounds the CPU? Is that right? How do I take it off anyway, isn't it like glued on there? Or just remove the screws?

I was kind of hoping the new xp90c would pop in the same way as the stock heatsink, using the nice stock clip that is so easy, but that is not the case, am I right?

I am going to install it tomorrow, so I'd just like a heads-up before I get stuck..

Anything else I should know?

You just unscrew the 2 screws holding the plastic rectangular bracket around the cpu. Dont mess with the lever or anything else. Put in the similar bracket that came with the xp-90c using the same screws or the new ones thermalright supplied. After you apply hs compound you hook on the 2 rear clips and lower the other side of the heatsink flat until you can work in the clips on the other side. It should be in the instructions. Dont forget to use the little rubber strips under your fan. The sticky side goes on the heatsink like tape parallel to the raised edges on either side of the top.

on my xp120 i never clip 2 of the same sides first and then lower the rest of the heatsink down. I usually clip opposite sides on mine. Clip them say bottom right top left catey<---???? corner from each other! lol

I did it this way to avoid slamming into the cpu but I guess either way works.

I thought that everyone was raving about the new AMD dual-core stock HSFs... how with the 4 copper heatpipes that they were at least on par with an xp90 if not slightly better. And if I am not mistaken, the stock fan on that cooler is a Delta, no?

Cheers.

chevro1et said:
I thought that everyone was raving about the new AMD dual-core stock HSFs... how with the 4 copper heatpipes that they were at least on par with an xp90 if not slightly better. And if I am not mistaken, the stock fan on that cooler is a Delta, no?

Cheers.

He's installing the copper version of the xp-90. According to overclockers.com it's the best cooler(p4 heatsink rankings). I do agree that the dual core stock hs is a better deal than the aluminum xp-90 though. By the way you may want to buy a stronger fan to take advantage of your heatsink. You can always use a fan controller to make it quiet. The 92mm panaflo's I have undervolt flawlessly.

If you want the rpm sensor model of that Pananflo M1, fan. this store here has them for sale for $9.90, including the tailed connector too. I've bought from this store before with no problems. It's a small store, but he is quick and his shipping is inexpensive and uses USPS Priority. I just ordered 2 of the 92mm Panaflo M1BX fans from him myself, for use on XP90/XP90C heatsinks.

I am totally sold on the Delta Tri-Blade low speed fan. Why? Well, it has more cfm then the Panaflos you guys are talking about, even tho its the low-speed version (over 50cfm). The noise level is about the same as the Panaflo. But the biggest thing about the Delta is the fact it is 38mm thick (more air per rpm), and most important, it needs so little power it can be powered by the 3pin mobo connector which also monitors RPM. This is very important to me and I think this is the only fan that is over 50cfm that also gets power from the mobo and records RPM. I can't find this fan anywhere tho, and its really making me mad (I need it shipped to Canada of course).

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de92trbllows.html

92x38mm Tri-Blade Delta (low speed) with shipping to Canada. Hope you have fun with that thing. It's the low speed model so it might not cut off your fingers or destroy your eardrums ;)

Edit: You might want to try this Panaflo instead. It's 92x25, but is almost exactly the same RPM, CFM, and dB, and supports motherboard speed monitoring. Only real differences are the Panaflo uses about 1w more and is $4 cheaper.

Last edited:
Soichiro said:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de92trbllows.html

92x38mm Tri-Blade Delta (low speed) with shipping to Canada. Hope you have fun with that thing. It's the low speed model so it might not cut off your fingers or destroy your eardrums ;)

Edit: You might want to try this Panaflo instead. It's 92x25, but is almost exactly the same RPM, CFM, and dB, and supports motherboard speed monitoring. Only real differences are the Panaflo uses about 1w more and is $4 cheaper.

Yeah, I thought about getting that HBX, but it's also 5 dB louder than the MBX I ordered and it's the same price as from the store I ordered my fans from. It would be a good choice though. Sidewindercomputers is a quality vendor though; love dealing with them.

the Delta 3-blade 92mm is what I use and it's nice and quiet. I hardly hear it at all.

DCP_3325.jpg

I have used regular Delta's, Panaflo's and the Delta 3 blades, and I am sold on the 3 blades. They run quietly for the volume of air they move, and they have a small center hub which means more air is directed where it's needed. Lastly, they undervolt very well. Yes, they are a tad pricey, but we are not talking gold bars here, just a few dollars.

Do the delta 3blades low-speed fans need a 12V or 5V input? I know that it can get its power from the mobo 3pin cpu fan connector, but will that give it full power? Anyone know what the mobo 3pin fan connectors actually put out? 5V or 12V? Some fans like 5 some 12, and some can use both (5V for silent mode, such as the Zalman GPU cooler). I just want to know so that I don't get too excited about using the 3pin connectors, only to find out they are all 5V and won't do the trick.

Now for something more serious. If ANYONE is close to a store that sells the Delta 3blade low-speed, I would be very appreciative if you could send it to me. I will of course pay for the fan and for shipping, and throw in an extra $5. Paypal or check is fine, I will also wait until you cash the check if that is the route you wanna go.

The problem is that sidewinder and other stores in the U.S. want more money for shipping then what the fan is worth. For example, sidewinder wants $12.99 for the fan, but $15.99 for shipping! Now, I know shipping via ground is only $4, so I don't know whats up with that! On top of that I would have to pay customs (albeit little, but still). I'd rather give someone $5 extra, then to pay these companies extreme amounts in shipping.

I hope this wasn't out of line, please don't punish me.

If anyone has a used one, that is fine with me too.

Sorry to here that it's so expensive as they really are great fans. They run fine off of a fan header or off the PSU.

I'll just have to find a buddy who has a local store that holds the fan. But really I have never even heard of a store that sells these, I think they just may be online only.

Even a Canadian online retailer would do! I wouldn't have any problem paying shipping to them, it would no doubt be a fraction of the cost, not to mention I wouldn't have to pay the insane taxes and customs that the Canada/Ontario communists like to steal from citizens.

Back