• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin 2GB XP4000 Black Series – Test Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eldonko

Revolutionary Mule
This mem is not exactly new (been out since Aug/Sept 05) but it seems a lot of people have been expressing interest in it lately. I was given a kit to test and am going to share my results, suggested timings/tweeks, and my overall impression of the RAM.

Test bed:
DFI LP NF4 Expert SLI (BIOS E-1207)
FX-57
eVGA GeForce 6800GT
OCZ PowerStream 520W
Cooling - Custom H20

The mem was very easy to set up, I just popped it in and it booted up right away @ DDR500, 3-4-3 and 2.65v. After that I went up in increments of 5Mhz testing w. memtest until I started getting errors then it was time for tweeking :)

XP4000 uses Samsung UCCC chips, week 52 in this set. UCCC isn’t like UTT or TCCD where it scales to some extent with voltage. The optimal voltage is actually less than 2.7v, about 2.67-2.69v. Higher than that the voltage causes instability. Just tweek and run memtest until you find optimal.

Secondary timings are also very important w/ this RAM, 1 setting off and you can have stability issues. See the settings below or my tweeker screenie to see what settings worked for me. *Note these settings are the TIGHTEST possible that still maintain stability at the speeds I am running the RAM. Some can be relaxed a bit, YRMV. Also what settings work for me may differ slightly for you because of system differences.*

Command Per Clock Enable
TCL-3.0
TRCD-4
TRAS-08
TRP-3
TRC-7
tRFC-16
TRRD-02
tWR-03
tWTR-02
TRWT-04
tREF-0780
tWCL-01
DRAM Bank Interleave-enabled
DQS Skew Control - auto
DQS Skew Value- auto
DRAM Drive Strength - Level 7
DRAM Data Drive Strength - Level 3
Max Async Latency- 8ns
DRAM Response Time - Fast
Read preamble Time- 5ns
Idle Cycle Limit- 32clks
Dyanamic Counter - Enable
r/w Queue bypass: 16X
Bypass Max - 07X
32 Byte Granularity - Disable (4 bursts)
Vdimm-2.67v, 2.71v in BIOS (Expert undervolts)

For the top end of the RAM, I managed to squeeze 280Mhz 3-4-3-8 2.67v:

mush4000-7.JPG

How about some 3d action:

mush4000-8.JPG

290Mhz 1M:

mush4000-4.JPG

Same settings, SP2004 large FFT still running:

mush4000-12.JPG

I work with this mem some more I will keep this thread updated. If anyone has questions about Mush XP4000 UCCC post them here, there are plenty of people that can help. :)

Your results will depend your system, OCing abilitys/skills, and a little luck. Overall I think this mem is great bang for the buck. A 2 gig kit that has a potential to hit these kind of speeds for ~$200 speaks for itself.

UPDATE:
XP4000 UCCC (#991483) is in stock and avail at these places:

Canada:
Memory Express
NCIX
Kit-tronics

USA:
Newegg
Monarch
Fry's / Outpost

Last edited:
Im real happy to see this thread !, I was one of those peaple who wanted to know how this RAM compared to the other popular UCCC DDR500 kits

Gonna post my results next week to this same thread. In a small test I got 275MHz out without any advanced tweaking. Seems like the new batch of the UCCC rocks :)

OnDborder said:
Gee, I wish someone would just "give me" a set of 2gig of ram to test.. Is Eldonko a Mushkin rep?
I do some testing-type stuff and tech support for Mushkin.

EDIT 1: Added prime results in 1st post, its still running so I may update it later.
EDIT 2: Added retailers. :thup:

Last edited:
OnDborder said:
Do you get to keep what they give you to test?
Where do I sign up?

It doesn't work that way as far as I know.

If they need help they turn to you and not the other way around and I don't think that they would just let anyone test their stuff.

eldonko thank you for your revie on these, i'm contemplating on either these or the ocz 4000's. i really like these.

i've built 2 - abit ai7's. one with 1x512mb of hyperx 3200, another with gskill value 2x1gb. i'm building a 3rd and i would love to put some of these 2x1gb sticks of mooshie blackies.

i backed up "the wedding crashers" rip to burn in 26 minutes with one stick of 512mb hyperx 3200 with a 2.4c @ 3.0. i'm hoping 2x1gb will be alot better?

Definitely some nice looking ram. Now I am heavily undecided between a DDR500 kit. OCZ, Mushkin, or Gskill.... :)

Thanks for the testing and results.

Dom

great post eldonko. i had a kit of this myself didn't have any trouble getting it stable up to the mid 270s without any major tweaking (went 3-4-4-8 with 2.75v).

didn't play with it for long before i sold it off to play with some new memory but this kit is right up there as far as uccc 2gb kits go.

people wont send me things to try so i have to buy them then sell them off so i can keep my hardware fetish appeased :)

hawtrawkr said:
people wont send me things to try so i have to buy them then sell them off so i can keep my hardware fetish appeased :)

I definitely feel your pain man... hehe :p

these look like great sticks, I think if I was going to go to 2gb now It would be these now that I have seen this.

Rattle said:
these look like great sticks, I think if I was going to go to 2gb now It would be these now that I have seen this.

id recommend them. they clocked well for me and a few others whove gotten them through retail channels

Eldonko said:
I was given a kit to test

out of curiosity did mushkin send you these or someone else? figure mushkin did but i know ive sent people hardware to play with before so thought id ask to be sure.

just wanted to clarify as alot of manufacturers send out cherry picked sticks for people to review and all that yada and i had troubles getting mine over 270 with the 3-4-3-8 timings and under 2.7v (anything over 2.75 didnt seem to do a thing for me)

hawtrawkr said:
just wanted to clarify as alot of manufacturers send out cherry picked sticks for people to review and all that yada and i had troubles getting mine over 270 with the 3-4-3-8 timings and under 2.7v (anything over 2.75 didnt seem to do a thing for me)
^^^^Brings up a good point.

Were these sticks sent directly from the manufacturer for testing?
A 270 OC would put them in the category of DDR500 OCZ and GSkillz, all clocking about the same.

Dom

Last edited:
The modules was sent to him by manufacturer (us).

As far as I know we don't get anything cherry until we ask so and I think this is just a sudden pick out of the XP4000 kits like all of us get. Day before Eldonko got his kit I got UCCC kit too which do 270MHz for 24/7 which is pretty much average. One 2GB RL XP4000 kit I got did only 251MHz 3D stable so I assume I will not get cherry stuff (if I don't ask for one).

I am personally against all the cherry-picking, but sometimes cherry-picked samples are good to show that there is a chance to get kit that will do very good numbers.

Back