• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vga PSU from Fortron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Kinda looks like a "pimped" MeanWell 12v. I wonder if there is truly any difference. Also, where is it drawing current from, wall outlet? That would make cable management a *****. I do like the idea, I just think it will take a second generation of implementation to truly work well.

Great idea. IF your PSU is a bit weak for that 7800 GTX you want, just add this gizmo instead of upgrading PSU. If the cost is reasonable, that is.

I think its a good idea but I do feel that graphics cards now need to follow the same route as the CPU in as much as a far more "power friendly" processor is needed for them. Maybe GPU designers could come up with a sort of way to lower the clock speed whilst increasing performance just like with CPU's. If they are already doing this I apologise as I have no idea that it is already going on. Oh and sorry if im threadjacking, I dont mean to. :)

Kil4Thril said:
Kinda looks like a "pimped" MeanWell 12v. I wonder if there is truly any difference. Also, where is it drawing current from, wall outlet? That would make cable management a *****. I do like the idea, I just think it will take a second generation of implementation to truly work well.
Fortron doesn't sell other people's designs, they design other people's products. Fortron is a true power supply OEM, not a retailer. They could never sell at the price point they do if the designs were not original.

As far as the power source, it's going to have to come from the wall somehow. Anything else would be a net consumer of power rather than a provider.

What I wish for is that they put two of those, a 30A 5V rail, and a 30A 3.3V rail in one 120mm fan-cooled box and end this silliness. If they can make a 25A rail for this they need to make them for some true dual-rail power supplies and stop worrying about the intel guidelines (that only cover 400w and lower configurations anyway). I realize this would be an ~800W unit, but they already have a 700W one and 2x25A would be better than the 4x15A configuration they use and give OCer's what they really need.

Back