• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me play and hopefully finish Half Life 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beginner

alright,

i'm trying my hardest to successfully play this game. i like the game so far, i can't get past chapter 3. here's the guide i'm using - http://faqs.ign.com/articles/568/568483p1.html

here are the tips for where i'm at "Barney will show up, and throw the Crowbar down. The most favourite Half-Life
weapon. You'll have to go to Eli's lab through the sewers, and yes, it's still
as dangerous as me when I'm hungry and drunk, unfortunately. Break through the
wood, and follow the path.

You'll see a Scanner, and this time it's not just an annoying flying thing
anymore, but it's your enemy. That's right, hit it, and hit it hard. Hit it
until it falls down and explodes. Go down yourself, and head left. Note you
can get hit now, so run, don't just walk. Enter the train, and smack
everything to pieces. Leave the train on the other side, but don't get run
over by the next train that is just passing through. When that train is away,
you'll be able to enter the next train. From here, climb the ladder and jump
over the trains, to the left. Follow the path to end this chapter."

i jump over a bent gate and kill lots of those monster guys but then i get stuck there? i can't jump back over the bent gate?.

i don't have any friend who game on pc or have ever played this game. i'm playing with max res and so far my fully volt modded 59xx card on air is doing ok. load times take awhile but i'm on 2x256 of bh-5 at the moment.

your comments are greatly appreciated :)

I too just got the game and am past that part. I am not sure exactly what form the passage is in, but if you go to the very left side behind the trains I think, there is a passage (I am thinking its a tunnel but I could be wrong as I cant remember).

On the other side of the train yard, there is a fence behind one of the train cars, and there is a gate there, just go there after you kill all the bad guys.

shard said:
On the other side of the train yard, there is a fence behind one of the train cars, and there is a gate there, just go there after you kill all the bad guys.

thanks for your posts guys :)

how do i jump back over the bent gate? its right after i get the crowbar, i keep going ahed and i see a bent gate.

i'll restart the game and see if there's an alternate route.

ok,

i killed all the bad guys and crossed to train canal back to them and picked up all their ammo. where do i go from here? i can't find a gate or anything?

maybe i should stick to playing halo c.e.

That was a little confusing part... I got stuck there too once... I'd say it's the most confusing "little area" in the game. I think I remember getting all turned around and the way I thought was backwards was the way out or something like that. the rest of the game is quite interesting...

Kinda a spoiler but kinda general "no specifics"
lots of traveling "i'd say the distances travelled are easily in the 10's of miles but there's lots of roadblocks you have to get through in order to travel further and your constantly getting harrasses by soldgers (THAT HAVE NO CHANCE TO STOP YOU) yeah that's right just run em over and keep on truckin, you will know your havin a good time when the music starts rollin and explosions start going off everywhere and your flying through all the chaos screaming yeeha at top of your lungs. The game does have some really good action packed rushes that kinda get ruined if you stop to look at a guide.

and some advice for ya... try it on your own first and only use the guide if you get stuck (i mean stuck good) it will be much more enjoyable ;) also look for the orange lambda symbols... they always mark a secret location of goods to resupply your health and ammo(pretty much necessary to find most of theese on hardest difficulty)

SHORT NOTICE SPOILER WITH SPECIFICS don't read ;)

if you open a door and see strange creatures jumping nearby from rooftop to rooftop making the scaries and most frightening noizes you ever did hear I reccomend 2 things
1. immedeatly pause the game and use the restroom before continuing
2. make sure you are fully loaded and Shoot anything that mooves faster than 30mph... (YES THAT'S RIGHT 30MPH) and whatever you do don't get stuck in a 5x5 room with anything that travels faster than 30mph because you will be crying for you momma after it's over with... just some personal experience to share as I heasatated shooting because I was sitting there saying WTF and ended up well lets just say that the 30mph object entered the room and in my paniced attempt to escape I accidentally closed the door stuck in the room with my greatest fear. I ended up playing ring around the rosie with this thing for 3 entire minuiets emptying all my ammo into the wall, ceeling and floor before finally being owned.. DOOM 3 Has absolutelly nothing on how scary that single momment was...

happy headcrab hunting ;)

Last edited:
thanks shard,

i just killed the "combines" again from across the train, i walked back over and got all their ammo.

i went back the way i came when they were chasing me, where the combines killed that that guy and the girl is mourning over him.

i just dont know where to go from here. i went back to the original train tracks and combines were there shooting at me, i killed them all. i don't know how to get out of that gated area?

i read that link you posted, hopefully i'll found me way out or here.

ozzlo ... lololol

dude you had me dying of laughter. i'm trying to get out of here but i can't find the way out? i like the game alot, nice rich sounds and the graphics are awesome, i'm playing with max res.

i'm moving around trying to find a way out of here but i can't yet. i'll keep walking around and look for the hl symbol and see if i can unlock or find anything.

If I remember correctly now (my memmory is returning to me and I think i've pinpointed where you are) you have to jump over the fence from when you are up high instead of dropping down... it's so complicated to explain but don't drop down, jump as far as you can and jump over the fence and you will be in with the trains... (that's to get into the train yard) if your trying to get out I thought there was a path leading out :shrug:

and I don't think there's a lambda symbol in that area... they usually mark extra items not exits... if there's one in there it's prolly ammo for the pistol or health...

also if you read the scary stuff you don't have to worry bout that till later in the game... ;)

If you don't have it figured out by tomorrow I will go play that again so I can explain better...

Last edited:
If go past the girl with the dead dude
go up the stairs ,
keep going till u get outside to a train track below
A train comes eventually and stops
jump on the train , and go across to the platform
use the crowbar i think on a few obstacles , inside the house/ shack
there should be a vent in a wall near a dead end past the house.

Some places have the half life symbol on the wall to show you the way.

I thought Half life 2 was pretty straight forward.
I can't imagine you playing Metroid Fusion :p

If your really stuck take a screen shot to show us where your at.

guys thanks to shards link, i was going the right way by jumping over the bent gate, i need to crawl. i don't know what buttons do what yet. i'll need to find a template online where i can print what all the buttons do. i have to find out what button enables crawling.

just go into the options and that way you can map out all the keys you want... I guess you wern't stuck where I got stuck... oh well... have fun with the rest of the game

thanks rom and ozz thats exactly where i was at, i hit the "cntl" button and that was crawl :)

i crawled into the little crawl space and busted a box, it had health and some other stuff.

then i found an open space and jumped out. i paused the game so i could say thanks to you guys.

@ROM, i've never gamed ever, not at an arcade, never owned a console ... nothing. halo combat evolved was my first game ever and its the only game i played cause i could use a game pad.

keyboard and mouse is foreign to me, i'm left handed with alot of things. i'm just getting used to it.

i thought my fully volt modded 59xx(flashed to 5950) card was doing ok, actually it was looking really nice at high res, above where i left off there were 4 combines coming at me and the game started to lag. i'll still keep playing this way.

thanks again guys, i'll be playing this game into the wee hours of the morning :).

for the controls right click half life 2 in the steam menu, And click player manual.

node graph out of date rebuilding

every time i load a new level this is what i get? i'm not registered with steam yet. i wonder if i need to do updates? when i register with steam will this fix it?

by the way guys, i've been playing this game non-stop so far. shard thanks again for the faq link :)

i think i'm about halfway, i'm playing in "easy" mode.

another thing CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME, i would much rather prefer playing with a gamepad. i'm going to do the redcloud hack and use my xbox duke controller because my hands hurt.

hopefully i'll finish this game soon :)

The node graph is for the AI, it tells them what's what and how the level looks, similar to CS:S bots, but not as good :p

It usually does that if you have the console on ( :rolleyes: ), because it's a devmode thing.

Did you update or no?

i haven't updated yet,

for that i need a steam account correct?

NsOmNiA91130 said:
The node graph is for the AI, it tells them what's what and how the level looks, similar to CS:S bots, but not as good :p

It usually does that if you have the console on ( :rolleyes: ), because it's a devmode thing.

Did you update or no?

Back