• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Program Froze now even BIOS won't Load!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

outofstep2k

Registered
I was using this program called Rasterbator. It processes images into poster prints. Anways, the program froze in the middle of processing and now my computer won't load at all. Fans turn on but I'm getting nothing on the screen.

I've tried numerous things like reinstalling the BIOS battery, clearing CMOS, removing one of the RAMS, disconnecting IDE cables, replacing video card, but nothing has worked.

What could the problem be? Did the program do permanent damage to my RAM or is something entirely different? Thanks in advance.

Dreamstalker said:
Have you tried swapping out the PSU? That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

What are your system specs?

I would be very suprised if teh PSU went bad. Its a FSP Group 500 watt that I bought 2 months ago.

Specs are:

2x512mb Corsair XMS Ram PC 3200
AMD 3200 socket 754
ASRock k8V Combo
ATI 9800 Pro AGP
SATA Harddrive

Since you've already tried swapping out the video card, that leads me to believe that the processor suddenly died. That would seem like the most likely problem.

I would take everything out of the case and test things one at a time. If you have another board you could stick the cpu in, you could see if it was the chip or the board if you have narrowed it down to those two. One time something lilke that happened to me and I had forgotten to plug the 4pin connector from the psu to the board back in.

try testing th cpu on another board if its good it might be your bios chip, i just had to replace mine, diff mobo but same symtoms/prob. fans run and nothing else.let us know how you make out.

ps if you contact your mobo manufacturer they will probobly send you a new chip, if it turns out to be that, relatively cheap. if the board is under warranty still, mine was 5 bucks s&h.sucked having to wait though.

If you remove everything from the motherboard except the PSU connection, then try to power up, you should hear beeps. If no beeps, then suspect bad mobo or PSU.

I would be shocked if my PSU went bad. I just it bought it last month and its a FSP Group 500 watt. My profession is on that computer, so I needed to get it fixed ASAP.

I went ahead and ordered the AMD x2 3800 and ASUS mb with a new case. It'll be a nice upgrade but one I didn't plan for.

Now the tricky part is going to be getting my old hard drive to work with the new mobo without having to reformat.

Back