• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temperatures...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gigahertz

is it ok if its always that high when running seti?

its a P4 northwood..

Temp.= 32.0, 62.6, 0.0; Rot.= 2909, 1814, 1339
Vcore = 1.49, 1.79; Volt. = 3.28, 5.00, 11.80, -1.65, -1.27

motherboard at 32 , cpu at 62 C

62 is on the high side. Just don't let it go over 65-70 tops. You might try dusting out your heatsink and reseating it with some fresh AS5. I wouldn't be worried about it, but kep an eye on it. Is this stock cooling?

That would do it. If you don't have any after market hsf combo's laying around, you may be able to lower the cpu temps by removing the side panel. That's assuming you haven't already done that, or can stand the extra noise this would generate. :)

BTW, :welcome: to the team! :attn:

I have a P4 Northwood as well with stock cooling (too lazy yet to put on the other cooler which requires a backplate on the mobo).

Depending on your setup - I'd recommend you pull off the heatsink every 3-6 months, and blow the dust off the heatsink - it WILL build up and your temperatures will gradually rise. Every three months or so my temps will rise (running SETI 24/7) from about 110F/43C up to 50+C and 130+F. With my CPU, once it hits 130-140F, it starts getting unstable. Anyhow - at that point, I pull off the heatsink, separate the fan/bracket from the heatsink, and get out the vacuum cleaner to get the dust off. At NewEgg or wherever you shop there is another HS that will avoid that whole nightmare where you can clean the outside of the HS off w/o removing everything - here's a link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118223
Not cheap, but it's gotten excellent reviews and it's easy to clean.

I have a small fan aimed inside the case - and neither of the sides on the case - it looks boooteeful - well I have been able to overclock to 3.6 or so @ 1.6V. I wouldn't recommend going above 1.65 or so as they seriously recommend against it.

Joe

One other thing - when the system is booting the CPU/system needs more voltage (spin-up on the drives etc may drain the other rails depending on the power supply - shouldn't happen but at least on mine with different power supplies it always has).

You can use AI Booster to drop the voltage in Win (that way the CPU voltage is set, say, to 1.60V for boot from BIOS, and when you use AI Booster you can drop it back down to 1.475). Lower voltage = lower temperatures. Right now my system is running at 1.475V at 3.6Ghz on the CPU.

Joe

Tyrinon said:
That would do it. If you don't have any after market hsf combo's laying around, you may be able to lower the cpu temps by removing the side panel. That's assuming you haven't already done that, or can stand the extra noise this would generate. :)

BTW, :welcome: to the team! :attn:

there are already 3 120mm fans in the case , one 80mm front and one 90mm rear plus 3x30mm fans on a drive bay. . ;)

cpu idles at 39C when not running SETI then it goes up to 62C :(

62 degrees won't damage your CPU, but its advisable to watch the temps every now and then especially now when warmer wheather is comming.

Back