• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Currently available AM2-compatible HSF's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ian

Are there any AM2-compatible HSF's available currently? Or is it possible to convert existing s939 HSF's to be AM2-compatible?

I'm seriously considering to get a new HSF for my Venice 3000+, have more or less decided on a Tt Big Typhoon. However, according to a few sources (e.g. Anandtech), AM2 will require new coolers as the CPU cage on the motherboard is different. It doesn't seem worthwhile to invest in an expensive HSF now when it'll need replacement when go AM2 probably in one or two years' time. At the same time, AMD is bundling PIB packages with those 4-heatpipe HSF's which seem to be very good in performance, might also eliminate the need for a new HSF when I upgrade later.

Basically, I won't be replacing my Venice for another year (hopefully) and the next upgrade should be a dual-core s939. However, in case AM2 scales nicely and the upgrade path is cheap, I might as well switch to AM2 within two years' time.

Shall I go for a new HSF? :bang head

Dilemma Dilemma Dilemma!!! Summer is coming soon. :mad:

Although nobody knows for sure, I think that with heatsink designs like the Big Typhoon and XP90/XP120 series,it should be pretty easy for them to make a new adapter plate to fit the new hole layout of AM2. The heatsink footprint of AM2 hasn't changed from present but rather the difference is in the use of 4 holes through the mobo for the HRM instead of 2.

muddocktor said:
Although nobody knows for sure, I think that with heatsink designs like the Big Typhoon and XP90/XP120 series,it should be pretty easy for them to make a new adapter plate to fit the new hole layout of AM2. The heatsink footprint of AM2 hasn't changed from present but rather the difference is in the use of 4 holes through the mobo for the HRM instead of 2.
which is truly a must (logically) since we all know from math class, 2x points make a line NOT a plane; you need 3x or more points to make a plane.
IE no more "balancing" your HSF on a line, we will have a nice plane to work with (again :rolleyes: )

Anyone has an idea if Big Typhoon will fit on the new AM2 motherboards, maybe utilising the 4 mounting screws for P4?

I seem to remember hearing that the stock AMD heatsink used on the higher X2 and Opteron models will be AM2 compatible.

Back