• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium D 805 Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

penixor

Im brand new to all the recent intel stuff but i saw this 805D chip and its exactly what i want. Super cheap, dual core, very overclockable but i have no clue what kind of good overclocking motherboards there are for intel. For AMD its easy, DFI. But i hear very little mention of motherboards here and since i dont really know what I am needing to search for, i am in dire straits looking for a kick *** overclocking motherboard for a dualcore chip that is only 143$ shipped. I mean you just cant beat that. Im a long time Intel despiser/hater but for that price and the ability to hit 4ghz is just too amazing to pass it down and plus, i want to make a jump. So any advice on motherboards would be awesome, thanks.

I am going for this board probally, BIOSTAR I945P-A7 Socket T refurb. Its not the O/Cing monster, but B/C of the low FSB, it should allow the chip to run at 200 willing the chip is. Its from newegg only 59$, but it is refurb. It is a 945 board thus should be decent. I will be ordering soon in the next few days. 200$ for a DC cpu and decent mobo, I can live that. My FS: DFI/165 is worth over 400$. I am downgrading, but not in a bad way.

I have always had good luck so far with Refurbs from newegg. Here is the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138260R

penixor said:
Then what is the O/Cing monster because thats what i want!
whats your buget. Asus has some nice 945 board for around 120$ which are almost the same as there high end 955 boards but much cheaper.

p5wd2-P is the win
P5LD2 if your on a budget (half the price of the above board)

d94 said:
p5wd2-P is the win
P5LD2 if your on a budget (half the price of the above board)

I can't find either of these boards. I am also looking for a board for this proc. however I would like to keep my AGP video card if possible. Any suggestions for an AGP MB for this chip?

Thanks

Newegg.com has those motherboards listed.

If you want socket LGA775, AGP, and regular DDR RAM, then your only real option is a hybred board like the Asus P5P800. I heard a rumor they might support the Pentium D with a BIOS update. I would carefully research that option first before deciding though, since I personally don't know of anyone running a 805 on that mobo. In other words, no guarantees.

I can only find two boards that are compatible with a 805. That is the ASUS P5VD1-X, and the ASRock 775Dual-880Pro. Both are about the same price, just under $60. Anybody have any experience with either of these boards?

Yog, both of those listed motherboards use a VIA chipset. I would avoid those. Only get a motherboard with an Intel chipset. I know you are probably on a tight budget, but spend a few bucks more for a decent motherboard. It's the heart of your system, so don't skimp.

Also, as a cheaper alternative to the p5wd2-p, the p5wd2 is the same minus some extra features. OC's my 920 just as well as my p5wd2-p or p5wd2-e.

One of my folding teammates got a newegg refurb for about the price of a p5ld2 (945 chipset).

This 805 runs hot hot hot! I picked up a Zalman 9500 copper HSF and am hoping it'll drop the CPU temps to 50-55 load. Currently stable 3.30GHz with more headroom but the load temps reach 70C. I don't like anything about 60.

Back