• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ftao Doctor "Volt Modding"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DazzleW

Registered
Hi there,

I've just got some parts through the post.

A mini croc clip like you suggested, and a variable resistor.

Its a "16mm pot spst sw 470k lin", it has 5 solder points. Three at the top and two along the bottom.

Which ones solder points connect where?

Thanks

DazzleW said:
Hi there,
I've just got some parts through the post.
A mini croc clip like you suggested, and a variable resistor.
Its a "16mm pot spst sw 470k lin", it has 5 solder points. Three at the top and two along the bottom.
Which ones solder points connect where?
Thanks

HI!

Well, if your going to do it to the Shuttle AK31, I recommend a 47K pot, not 470K. The 470K pot won't give you enough sensitivity for the proper adjustment. It will essentially be all-or-nothing.

If, in fact you do have a 47K pot, just connect an ohm meter to the center, and one of the outside terminals, of the three that are grouped together. Determine, and note the direction you need to turn the pot for maximum resistance, and follow the proper volt mod guide in the sticky post at the top of this forum.

Remember, maximum resistance=safer. You will want to boot up using maximum resistance

Ignore the other two that are grouped together, as they are probably for a built in switch.

I hope this answers you're question, and I highly recommend getting the proper pot, if yours isn't correct.

:)

Doctor

Damn,

It looks like I've ordered the wrong part, 470k - 47k.

So if i check with a multimeter that i have maximum resistance set, i can then lower the cpu volt in dos fit the mod and re-boot.

Should this resistor give me 2.2v available? i.e at 1.85 in the bios it shows 2.2v on say Motherboard Monitor?

Thanks your help is really appreciated.

First, what kind of mobo do you have?

Next, if it's the Shutttle AK31 RevXX, you will be able to get at least 2.2V, but I wouldn't even try it without the correct pot. As it is, with th 47K pot, you only need to turn it a millimeter to go from 20.V=>2.1V. Using a 470K pot, would be very difficult, and dangerous to the life of your CPU.

You have been warned, but we are here to help you if you need it :)

Good luck,

Doctor

Doctor,

I've got an Epox 8kha+.

Would i be better forgetting about a variable pot and just going with the right resistor?? If so, what should i ask for down at my local elec. distributor..:)

Back