• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock Radeon 9200SE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CPUFreak91

Registered
Is it possible to overclock a Radeon 9200SE? If so, what good Windows and or Linux overclocking programs would you suggest (preferably free).
Thanks.

It is possible. You could try either ATi Tools or ATi Tray Tools. You probably wont need the lastest version of either for your card. Just remember to OC in small increments and you may want to look into making sure you keep your card cool.

Dont expect too much out of that card even with a good OC. Most of the newer games will still run pretty poorly on it.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!

Seabee said:
Dont expect too much out of that card even with a good OC. Most of the newer games will still run pretty poorly on it.
Darn. Oh well, I'll still OC the 9200Se but look into another card as well. Thanks a lot.

Seabee said:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!
Thanks!

You can flash the bios to higher clocks, but I wouldn't do that until you test it with software first, to make sure they are stable.

Yuriman said:
You can flash the bios to higher clocks, but I wouldn't do that until you test it with software first, to make sure they are stable.

Other than stability... how dangerous is it to do that? I'm low on funds right now and don't want to totally ruin a vid card.

CPUFreak91 said:
Other than stability... how dangerous is it to do that? I'm low on funds right now and don't want to totally ruin a vid card.

Video cards are much easier to overclock then CPU's. Your main concern is heat, if you beat that then you're limited to what your card can OC to. I have an SE also and without artifacts of other glitches it will do 445 Core/405 Memory, this is with water cooling and some gnarly ram sinks I made. If you want to later on you can attempt to unlock the SE into a regular 9800, that's also software related and will result in no permanent damage if it cannot be.

Yuriman said:
9200se's do not unlock into 9800's. :p

LOL. I think he's referring to the 9800SE's not the 9200SE's, rofl. And I think you know that too:D

Yeah, don't expect to much of an overclock, but hey it doesn't hurt to gain some performance even as minimal as it may be.

Mr. $T$ said:
Video cards are much easier to overclock then CPU's. Your main concern is heat, if you beat that then you're limited to what your card can OC to. I have an SE also and without artifacts of other glitches it will do 445 Core/405 Memory, this is with water cooling and some gnarly ram sinks I made. If you want to later on you can attempt to unlock the SE into a regular 9800, that's also software related and will result in no permanent damage if it cannot be.

Oh, what's the memory setting in ATI Tray Tools used for?

Right now, I'm not in the mood to change a heatsink on anything, but how hard is it to buy and change the card's heatsink? I'm not ready to jump into water cooling as my desktop follows me everywhere to LAN parties and such so I just have to go with air. :p

Oh, I just overclocked the crore from the standard 200 to 245, but farcry still lagged in the pre-rendered videos. :shrug:

CPUFreak91 said:
Oh, what's the memory setting in ATI Tray Tools used for?

Right now, I'm not in the mood to change a heatsink on anything, but how hard is it to buy and change the card's heatsink? I'm not ready to jump into water cooling as my desktop follows me everywhere to LAN parties and such so I just have to go with air. :p

Oh, I just overclocked the crore from the standard 200 to 245, but farcry still lagged in the pre-rendered videos. :shrug:

I kind of messed up on the clock thing, I miss read you had a 9200. Sorry to say there is no chance in hell getting it to 445, but really 245 is pretty good from a stock 200. Also don't worry about water, that's more of an extreme fix for heat which you should have no problem with. As for changing the heatsink it's as easy as popping up two pins and swapping them out, really quite easy. Also 9200 is not a gaming card in the least bit. If you hunt diligently enough you can find 9800's around 60-70 that should play farcry without a problem.

Back