• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

maximize enjoyment in guild wars

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elitebear4

so far ive only played with a warrior/monk class and i cannot say ive really been enjoying it...what class combination would you guys recommend thats probably the most interesting?

Well, if you like to feel needed, play a Monk/Whatever. Necro isn't a bad secondary, nor is Ranger, Mesmer, or Warrior. I also have a Me/N that I enjoy very much, but people really don't appreciate mesmers like they should. They don't do direct damage, but prevent damage and have backfire or dampening spells.

Warrior/Monk is pretty much hack/slash/hack/slash/hack/slash/heal/hack/slash/hack/slash... ect

I did that....W/Mo, quite boring. I reccomend Mo/Me, I have one and really like it, now that I've been that a warrior is quite boring. I am also too used to being a monk, so whenever I see someones health go down and I am using a PVP something else, it drives me crazy lol.

Rangers are the best class all around, they are the good in pvp (ranger spike, trapper, flag runner), and in pve being able to self heal, remove hexs and conditons, and deal alot of dmg from range while letting your pets keep enemys at a distance. By the way the w/mo is the worst and most boring build possible in the game.

wow I didnt know anyone from the forums still plays. Are you guys in the guild? maybe i should login once in a while

Actually, I havn't played in a few weeks due to my friend getting bored of it. I think I still had quite a few hours of fun left, but I really don't plan too many games other than with him.

I ran a Monk/Ranger. Though it was my first time playing a mmorpg; it allowed me to sitback and absorb whats going on as well as learn the in's and out's of GW. I haven't played in months... dunno if I have been kicked out of the guild yet :\

My Elementalist is my favourite char so far. I dont bother w/ the secondary Prof, I have all my Attri's set to fire for PvE and I switch to Earth w/ wards for PvP. People still complain that the Monsters run from AOE....they dont realize that the monsters always run back into the AOE. Also AOE will protect all your castors/Healers very nicely. So I prefer Elementalist. I have a lvl 20 Necro which is ok..I also have tried Warrior and Monk.

Suprisingly W/Mo is actually a fairly good little set-up it can be boring at times yes but to get the most fun out of it is when you get further into the game. You can uphold a bunch of things for instence, Smiteing its perfect with Balthazars aura and what not things that do damage as you stand next to someone really adds to it. Plus the Elite Healing Hands it can save your *** more than you would think, a heal every time your hit and you dont take much damage unless its from an Elementalist. I have a lvl 20 Echo Nuker E/Me and using echo with Meteor Shower or some other AoE is very effective especially in the underworld. Just try a bunch of different proffesions Mo/Ele is good to because you can then use them Armor of Earth and Kinetic Armor and what not. Good Luck!

I have done:

E/Mo - Fun for a while (I was a nuker, but early on I was used to heal a lot)
W/Mo - The name is Dedicated Runner
Mo/W&N - 55Mo for farming the UW and Powerleveling. I also like to go farm SF and FoW and be a healer monk.

Every pvp group wants a monk, but unfortunately, you get blamed for everything when your team starts dying. A good monk makes all the difference in the world, a noob monk just wastes a player slot.

If your group is good, it's not too hard to play without primary Monks. Just get like 2 or 3 warrior monks, and then a ranger, elemental, and necro and you are good to go. Mesmers are pretty damn useful, but unfortunately a lot of people suck with the Mesmer class, so they become useless.

One time my friend started an all monk group...lets just say it was hilarious. I also have too gone farming in the UW with an all ranger, 1 necro, and 2 monk group that worked well.

my char was N/E (Necro/Elementalist)

then i killed my GW chars and tried to start new as a necro... and that got major boring.

I've played every combonation. One of my fav chars for PvE was my double echo nuker (ele/mes). Then the patch that made the mobs smart to aoe came out. I made a summoning necro then. I have to say that was a lot of fun. Nothing like getting 30 bone fiends up and then just running thru anything.

The above posters are right though, W/mo are prolly one of the most boringest classes.

I made a ranger/mes for trapping UW runs. Now that was pretty fun. 3 good trappers could clear UW no problem. Then they nerfed that... lol

I would maybe suggest a mes first class. That way, end game you can switch you're secondary to anything you want and still get a good main class bonus. (fast casting)

i settled with an e/mo. bah the game has slowly gotten less interesting for me though. i guess it lacks the little things that ive wished for in an rpg game. namely, the items in the game arent really that great and so farming feels like a chore. does wow have flashy items comparable to diablo 2? it was the fascination of getting special weapons and armor in d2 that really kept me playing that game for years..

I really loved Diablo II for it's weapons, and I didn't think WoW's were as good. Certainly better than Guild Wars though. In WoW, I found it rediculous that I would have to run a dungeon 90 times in order to get a weapon 2% more damaging than the one I had.

Janus67 said:
only problem is very few teams take a mesmer.

If the teams are smart they do.

That is one of the biggest things about GW... most of the ppl that play dont know how to play, lol.

You know the big bad thunderhead keep? My ranger went thru there the first try b/c I had a smart grp. The grp actually used a healer hench and had one that went link dead. If everyone keeps there wits about them and actually puts a little time into picking the right skills and some teamwork/strat, there's very few missions in the game that are hard.

I will agree though, it maybe a little hard to find a grp at first w/ a mesmer. Be a mes/mo and advertise your self as a fast cast support healer.

elitebear4 said:
i settled with an e/mo. bah the game has slowly gotten less interesting for me though. i guess it lacks the little things that ive wished for in an rpg game. namely, the items in the game arent really that great and so farming feels like a chore. does wow have flashy items comparable to diablo 2? it was the fascination of getting special weapons and armor in d2 that really kept me playing that game for years..

I agree... farming is a chore and the weapons are pretty much all the same in GW. TBH... I dont play GW anymore, I switched shortly after I got rank 3 in pvp (I just wanted the emote, hehe).

WOW has some crazy flashy items. If you want to get them, as a above poster said you have to run dungeons. This can be kinda a pain unless you have a good guild. My guild runs Molten Core (one of the dungeons) sunday and tuesdays, we've just started but we've already got 2 bosses on farming status. On thrusdays we run ZG or hopefully in the next couple weeks AQ 20. My buddy who started the guild, came from a guild that had MC runs down to 5 hours and would do it every sunday. He got full epic gear in 6 months. If you join a guild that raids everyday, it would take a lot less time.

If you do go to wow, join whisperwind horde and look us up... HordelandSecurity.

Last edited:
How to maximize enjoyment in guild wars? Quick solution. Uninstall it, install something else. Hours of fun :)

Being serious though, as is with most MMOs, try something new, a wide variety of choices are available in todays games. New class combinations, odd class combinations, etc etc.

If you want a carebear friendly game GW isnt it, their is no point in farming for armor or weapons when its all the same besides looks. I/you can can just roll out a pvp char with max everything with just a little bit of faction grind. GW is a game of skill and strategy, anything else besides HOH and GvG is just filler.

Back