• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sonata wc'ing, gpu added, pic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

calvin

Have been wc'ing for several years but always cpu only. That has changed recently on installing an Asus X800XT PE and observing a tendency for it to artifact under heavy 3D loads. (stock coolers :bang head )

So off with the under whelming air cooler, replaced by a Swiftech MCW-55. Decided to upgrade the pump at the same time to better deal with the added resistance. So added a Swiftech MCP350 as well with the matching bay res. Surprised at how small the pump is. GPU idle temps have dropped from a previous mid 70's degc into the mid 30's - nice. And absolutely no more artifacting! Side bonus can now oc the gpu core with ease.

Anyway, pleased that it turned out to be such an easy upgrade. Part of the reason is the nice layout of Antec's Sonata case for wc'ing. Heres a pic of final result - tubing size is 7/16" ID x 3/32 and rad is a BIP2 with Papst 120's

P1010061.JPG

aDaM - Home Depot, #6 by 1/2" long bolts

One question. Prior to this setup had stopped applying clamps as getting at them I find is akward plus the appearance. That was OK when I had an AC pump with only 59" head capability. The new one I understand has a spec of 13 feet! If you check the pic there are no clamps except for a single clamp at the return connection at the res, securing the 7/16s tygon over a smaller 3/8's barb. But thats it. No leaks so far, but still not sure about this.

So question, any "no clamp" afficiandos with higher pressure pumps that can soothe my concerns as a result of their experiences, or should I be throwing something on there ASAP?

EEK! No clamps at all? Man, I wouldn't feel at all comfortable about that situation. Zip ties at the least, worm gearm clamps are the best IMO.

If you go with work clamp style, you can open them all the way up and then you can slip them around your connection. No need to disassemble. Then, tight up with a hex wrench or screw driver, which ever is easiest.

Back