• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best air cooling for a naked 165?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darufe

Ive been fidling with my xp120 alot mounting it with screws to have even pressure and all modifying the bracket...
pain in the @$$ !!!
Anyone know a good bolt thru thats even better at dissipating heat then the xp-120?

The Sythe Ninja is the best heatsink on market. It out performs the XP-120 and XP-90C and cost less. Around $35 to $40. Unlike the XP-120, it fits all motherboards.

<<Spider>> said:
The Sythe Ninja is the best heatsink on market. It out performs the XP-120 and XP-90C and cost less. Around $35 to $40. Unlike the XP-120, it fits all motherboards.

Hmm,

I believe the Ninja uses the retention style of the P4 so it would not be bolt through. I suppose it would work but either way you would be playing a dangerous game because the ninja will put leverage on the chip because of mounting perpendicular to the ground.

Have you considered going water? Most solutions would allow you to control the force and many will say that it would be safer than using air cooling for the naked cores, because of the lower leverage.

Either way good luck,
Bryan d

You have to be careful with your choice of heat sink for a naked 165. The only HS that I believe fits the naked cores OK is the Zalman 9500 as you ideally need one where you can control the amount of pressure. Most people with naked 165 go water so don't have this problem.

Wouldn't a Big Typhoon do well? It uses a Bolt through method and it performs right beside the Ninja, and really beats up on the Zalman in noise and performance.

If you can find it, SLK-948U or W/Cing. I would not trust a naked A64 to aything but a bolt through method so you can add even pressure.

Back