• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Several CRAZY Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowhawk109

Hey all!

First post...woot!

I came to this site cause one of my friends said it was "freakin awesome" and "solved all (his) problems insanely fast". I've been workin on my problems for several months now with no luck. SO here goes, and for anyone helpin, thanks in advance! The problems spread out through several different areas and different computers, so if I need to repost in different sections of OCForums lemme know.

1) ALL the USB 2.0 ports on my computer (see sig for specs) choke on USB 2.0 devices. Flash drives, digital cameras, and card readers all reboot the computer when plugged in.

2) My brother's computer doesn't see mine on the network, nor do I see his, but we can play games against each other.

3) My brother's computer crashes randomly and will NOT come back up for several hours. I think its only with newer games (Halo, CS:S).

4) My dad's computer reboots randomly when playing CS:S and crashes when playing Age of Mythology.

If there's any more information you folks need lemme know!

Thanks!

:welcome:

1) All the ports, or just front case ports? If you have front case ports connected try disconnecting them for a minute and try the back ones.

2) Is windows firewall off? Are you both on the same workgroup? Any other firewall applications running? On both computers try: "Network Connections" -> "Local Area Connection - alt-click - Properties" -> "TCP/IP Properties" -> On the "General" tab hit "Advanced" -> "WINS" tab -> tick "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP". You may have to reboot.

"Administrative Tools" -> "Computer management" -> "Services & Applications" -> "Services" -> scroll down to "Computer Browser" and make sure the service is started. Normally it is set to automatic, and should start when you start up the computer.

If you're still stuck, open a command window and type the following three commands, exactly as I typed them:
nbtstat -r
nbtstat -R
nbtstat -n
Then open up windows explorer and try to get into the other computer on the address bar (ie: type "\\computername", whithout the quotes.

Gotta run to a meeting, I'll let someone else suggest some things for #3 and #4.

:)

Hey...thanks for the speedy reply!

All ports...I have four ports on the case (two front of case ports, two on motherboard) and four on a USB PCI card (Adaptec 4000), and ALL OF THEM reboot my computer when i plug something in!!!

Trying fix now...I'll let you know if it works.

Shadowhawk

Here's a few things for #3 and #4:

Try running a 32M SuperPI and see if they crash: http://www.xtremesystems.com/pi/index.php

How are the 12V, 5V, 3.3V, and vCore voltages while running SuperPI?

How hot do the processors get towards the end?

Try reseating the memory and add-on cards. Sometimes they slowly work loose as they expand and contract with the heat. We used to call it "chip-creep", but it's not so common anymore.

Try flashing to the latest BIOSes.

Back to #1: Try removing the Adaptec card.

If I remove the Adaptec card, I have no room for my joystick :(, but I shall try it. I'll try this SuperPI thing in a minute or two

Tried removing the Adaptec card, but it didnt work. I've tried moving it around, and out of my five PCI slots, so far 3 of them havent made a difference.

Maybe try disabling the onboard USB ports (in BIOS), and see if the Adaptec works? (I know you want more ports, but just to test...)

i'll try it...what exactly is SuperPI supposed to do/prove? My brothers computer is a POS so it's taking FOREVER to do ANYTHING right now...so far SuperPI has completed 1 loop in 6 min.

Check your temperatures and voltages after it has been running for ~15mins.

Click on Sensors for Everest under the selections on the left hand side.
everest.jpg

You can also use SpeedFan which will provide a graph of temperatures.

For your brother's system if it is running slow check your task manager and see how much memory is being used as well as CPU usage when idle. If CPU usage is higher than 4% then you may have some background task running you don't want.

I recommend you download and run:
1. PandaSoftware Online Virus Scan
2. AdAware
3. Scandisk - From My Computer right click C: drive and select Properties, click the Tools tab and click Check Now for Error Checking. You may have to reboot.
4. Defrag - From My Computer right click C: drive and select Properties, click the Tools tab and click Defragment Now...

Last edited:
Just ran...

Hey all...

I just ran SuperPi and Everest and I have the report. SuperPi had completed 3 loops on the 32M test in 16 minutes, which is as close as I could get to "~15 min" like JCLW wanted...sorry!

I haven't the slightest idea what most of this means...sorry again. :shrug:

0e85fb14.jpg

As a side note....I'm gonna try disabling USB ports in BIOS today to try to fix #1, and for some reason, Everest doesn't list anything but hard drive temps on my computer.

EDIT: Fixed pic

Last edited:
Checked BIOS

Hey all...

I just finished disabling OnBoard USB V1.1 + V2.0 in my computers BIOS and then trying the Adaptec USB card....didnt change a thing.

I'm at a loss...what now? :shrug:

In the Device manager, go to USB Controllers, and right click a root hub, select properties-

In Power Management, uncheck "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power"

Do this for each root hub.

umm...its a PH-500ATX...when that board was in my computer I had the same problem, but with a different power supply.

Back