• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman Chipset Cooler need opinion??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozzy0627

1 ) Hi guys I just bought a zalman chipset cooler and I need your guys opinion on it. 2)...........Also I was wondering which fan I should put on a 40mm or 50mm , 40 fits perfect........50 has more power though.............3) And finally I want to know if I should mount the fan on the top of it ..or on the side of it.

Thanks Ron

They're OK... The one I got was in SERIOUS need of a bit of lapping, as it had fairly deep grooves in it and whatnot. As for a fan, I think the whole point of this one is that it shouldn't need a fan, hehe, but of course, what else to do but put a fan on it, right??? :D. Performance wise, it's pretty good, though I had the exact same performance with a chunk of a PII Xeon heatsink hacked off and thermal epoxied to the chipset. So all in all, if you're looking for something you can just buy and slap on, they're not bad for an aluminum cooler, but you'll prolly need to lap it, and if you're not afraid of a lil work and have an old heatsink sittin around, just hack a chunk of that off and use it instead.
Peace
John

Hi thanks for the input....what grit of sandpaper should I start with and end width when I go to lap this thing???????

I typically start with 600 grit, then 800, then 1000. I use 3M Imperial WetorDry sandpaper and lap with some warm water with a drop of dish soap (liquid, like dawn, not electric dishwasher stuff), on a piece of glass. I like to do it outside, with the hose nearby to rinse the paper and make sure it doesn't bind up. There have been questions about how much is too much, and etc, and basically, I don't stress too much, I lap until it is flat and smooth, beyond that I'm not worried about. A pretty mirror finish is kinda worthless to me if it's just gonna get silver goop spread on it and glued down to the chipset... hehe If you've got something that's REALLY bad, you can start with something coarser, 400 or even 250, but that will do it's own scratching and gouging. for things that aren't even remotely flat, some people start off with a file.
Anyway, hope this helps, I'm sure if you searched for 'lapping' you'd get more info than you ever wanted to know, but that's my $0.02.
Peace
John

RedneckTech said:
Pure Al... bleh, give me a pure copper chipset cooler anyday.

~RT~

Where can you find them??? And do they make that big of a difference? I would think with the lower amount of thermal load, copper wouldn't make as much of a difference, but I don't really know. Have there been any mass produced ones? and if so, how do they compare to Aluminum?
Peace
John

Here is my idea on it. Duct a 80mm low noise fan mounted on the side of your case & get cold air onto it. You'll be much happier that way. What I realized is that if you use ASII & not have a lot of pressure when you mount it you usually don't get it to work efficiently. I used to have my BOrb mounted to my MX GPU with just the spring loaded pins to hold it. It never got warm & the back of the GPU was HOT :eek: . Since I mounted the RAM sinks with normal metal epoxy mixed with ASII, 1:1, & had good results with it I decided to try it for the BOrb/GPU. First 2 hours felt like &^(*& 'cause the GPU was still hot. Thinking I made a mistake I shut down the system & went to bed. Tried it again the next day & HOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH the BOrb was getting warm & the back of the GPU does not heat up anymore:cool:

Intraveinous said:

Where can you find them??? And do they make that big of a difference? I would think with the lower amount of thermal load, copper wouldn't make as much of a difference, but I don't really know. Have there been any mass produced ones? and if so, how do they compare to Aluminum?
Peace
John

Wish I knew, haven't seen any at the moment, so my guess is you would have to have it custom made. A question though, what material are the stock heatsinks on the chipsets on Asus and MSI boards?

~RT~

The titan copper chipset cooler will fit on a 761 chipset with pushpins...except I cant find anywhere to buy it at..Only sites online are german sights.

RedneckTech said:

Wish I knew, haven't seen any at the moment, so my guess is you would have to have it custom made. A question though, what material are the stock heatsinks on the chipsets on Asus and MSI boards?

~RT~

I'm pretty sure that the "green meanies" are anodized aluminum, but they have next to zero surface area. A fan on them does help quite a bit, but a bigger heatsink works all the better. Hmmm, anyone wanna donate a CAK38 to the cause of being hacked up and made into chipset blocks??? :D
Noname cast aluminum + hacksaw = a long time and tired arms, but what about copper? it's a lot softer, so would it be easier to cut or would it be more apt to malform instead? hmmm... Thinks about those golden gates for 10 bucks... hmmmm...
Peace
John

Ozzy,

Have you considered just using the Zalman FB-165 Cooling Fan made for that cooler, its only 6.99 and made for it.

chip3.jpg

Plycom

I didnt know their was fan for it:( I bought 3 different fans to try and mount to it. :(

If you are talking about a northbridge chip I would second the recomendation to hack off half of an AMD CPU heatsink and lose any fans. Just use some weights (like a bunch of quarters) when using the ASII/AS adhesive mix to mount it to the mobo.

For my radeon, I replaced the heatsink with an alpha 45mm square heatsink which is only about 3/8 inch tall. Glued a 60mm fan onto the end of a straightened PCI slot cover directly next to the GPU heatsink, but about 10mm away. Connected it at 7V and it cools the ramsinks as well.

Back