• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

um...is this a problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sno.lcn

Senior2 Member
I borged one of my dad's rigs the other day and then it started shutting off after running for about 10 minutes. When I opened it up to look inside, I the cpu fan looked dirty so I pulled it off to clean it and here's what I found.
Needless to say, when I cleaned it up, it started working again. But I'm turning this pic into a huge poster to remind him to keep his rigs clean from now on.

Attachments

• smaller_dirty_comp.jpg
    smaller_dirty_comp.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 127
hmm..i seen that before. its mostly smoke/tar mixed with the dust to make it sticky. its a PITA to clean.

At least its a asus motherboard....

i like seeing these sorts of threads. they do get redundant, but odds are, that it reminds SOMEONE, or maybe a few people- i just did the PIII ive been using a week ago, and it was really bad (just cleaned a month before too!)

holy cow. I've seen that before. I tried to clean someone's compie up....just for the fun of it. Holy Cow. There was sooo much tar in there--like wizard said--just like that. a PITA. The computer was given to them by a relative; that came home and sat at the compie all night playing everquest and chain smoking.
Nasty Crap. I used it as an example to not smoke.

dz_jad said:
holy cow. I've seen that before. I tried to clean someone's compie up....just for the fun of it. Holy Cow. There was sooo much tar in there--like wizard said--just like that. a PITA. The computer was given to them by a relative; that came home and sat at the compie all night playing everquest and chain smoking.
Nasty Crap. I used it as an example to not smoke.

Now you know what to get your dad for his next birthday/christmas present - One of those GOOD HEPA air filtration machines. They're about 1000 more effective than the ionic breeze you see being pushed all the time on TV.

You want to get someone motivated to quit smoking? Find the documentary about a cancerous lung being removed from a veteran smoker.

In living color, you can see the guy's lung tissue (which should be a delicate texture with a pink color), is a black blob, with next to nothing for texture (the fine texture gives it it's ability to absorb oxygen). The lung appears like nothing but a lump of asphalt.

It's a genuine "Euuuuuuwwwwwww" and "OMG!", reaction from everyone watching.

With the help of a good HEPA air filter working, the dad should definitely have much better air quiality. Be sure it's a quiet one, as well, so no complaints all around.

Next year, you know what to include in your present to your dad - a new HEPA filter. :p

Adak

Yeah it was pretty bad. And the thing is, he has an exhause fan piped out the window for the smoke and a hepa filter pretty close by. Me, I have on blowing air on my rack so I know those rigs are only getting clean air :p

I have seen something like that Before, But Mold was growing almost everywhere their was Dust and on top of it the guy had Mice living in his system at one time and they had a nest made out of paper and there were droppings all over the place and on top of it all they had urinated on pretty much everything inside giving the system a putrid smell.

Worst I've ever seen. Which reminds me, my computer needs a good dusting. Gotta remind myself to bring home my can o' compressed air from work.

:eek: Holy...eeewwwww. I just had to click on this thread when having dinner ;) I have seen worse in other ways though...

Can I swipe that pic to put in my "What not to do" file? I don't even want to know what my mom's rig looks like...sitting on the floor right next to where the cat likes to sleep (not by design; one day he just decided he liked it there) and he starts shedding like mad around this time of year.

Dreamstalker said:
:eek: Holy...eeewwwww. I just had to click on this thread when having dinner ;) I have seen worse in other ways though...

Can I swipe that pic to put in my "What not to do" file? I don't even want to know what my mom's rig looks like...sitting on the floor right next to where the cat likes to sleep (not by design; one day he just decided he liked it there) and he starts shedding like mad around this time of year.

Ditto! That's pretty bad... but I've seen worse. Dusty PSU found by the Cajun man. -> http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=399096

Speaking of cats... mine doesn't sit next to or on top of my rigs. He wouldn't dare! :mad: But I do run intake filters on my rigs for the shedding reason anyway. It's really easy to pull the side or front panel off and clean w/compressed air periodically... and it's amazing how much stuff a decent filter will catch.

harlam357: It's really easy to pull the side or front panel off and clean w/compressed air periodically

I use an electric leaf blower. :p 2 Hp Sears shop vac set to blow air at approximately 200 mph (according to their advertisement),talk about dust flying! :eek: It takes about 5 seconds, you just have to be careful not to knock anything loose or blow the computer over.

Dreamstalker said:
:
Can I swipe that pic to put in my "What not to do" file?
Go for it

Here's what the power supply looked like. I just replaced it and decided to clean it up later. I'm kinda scared of what I might find when I open it up lol.

Attachments

• smaller_dirty_psu.jpg
    smaller_dirty_psu.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 58
Back