• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

''we talk about Conroe today...''

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Will Intel's CPU's be better in the future? That sounds like a sure bet to me. This so-called marketing strategy smacks of desperation rather than marketing acumen. Sooner or later, and in this case probably in the third quarther of this year, Intel will finally take back the lead in CPU speed. Personally, a corporation as large as Intel with the market dominance they posses, should be embarrassed by their lackluster performance of the last two years. One more year of the doldrums and their entire corporate empire could have collapsed around their ears. The talk in the financial markets for some time has been, "What happened to Intel?" Well, it looks like they are back on track, but the question remains, "How long will they stay on track?" Here's another question, "Where would Intel be without the stiff competition of AMD?"

Meantime, AMD, no doubt, has a plan of it's own. My guess is they will become much more competitive with the AM2 once they go to the 65nm cores, but they have played their cards close to the vest and no one can be certain of their response. Generally speaking, I don't think people will stop buying AMD's because Intel says it's coming out with a better product in six months. In fact, this may help AMD as it is an Intel admission of the inferiority of their own products. Whatever the outcome, the next year should prove to be very interesting.

what i would have rather of seen was a common benchmark used. at least make the exact time demo available to download and use to at least test our computers and see how they would stack up aginst those 2.

im thinking that there is a little problem with intels test. 1st there has already been problems with the test themself, the results have been fixed some what by correcting that which is easy to spot. that took a good chunk of the lead away.

2nd, ive seen in press reports from intel that those chips are 40% faster clock for clock and use 40% less power compared to the p4. that still dosent seem to support these results.

3rd as a bussiness venture is it smart for them to stop selling their faster mhz p4 for slower mhz conroe, everyone here may know that conroe is better and faster but who outside this site really knows that, or almost everyone would have been useing amd for the last year or so.

lastly, at IDF they said that the chip did about 23% better on CoD2 then the p4ee 3.73 that dosnt seem to support the test results between the fx and the conroe.

besides those things this looks good we might finally be back to the super fast performance increases we had a few years ago.

Ed said:
the equivalent of one of those movie guys with a two-foot long run pointing it at us and saying, "Freeze" after a gun fight.

A "two-foot long run"? What? In his stocking? :p Sorry, couldn't resist.

On a more productive note, "don't buy a computer for the next few months" is more likely to translate to "don't buy a computer util Vista is out". The Conrad and M2 releases are timed just about right for this and it's likely that the new OS will be a big factor driving sales.

I sure hope its true.
If Intel can not improve speed by 20% (use the updated scores) in 6 months what the hell have they been doing the last while?

Before we hit this wall that everyone is still trying to get over, this would be EXPECTED from a CPU that is to come out 6 months later based of a new improved core

looks like tis the season ... i was getting ready to upgrade ...

between ati vs nvidia, and intel vs amd, and of course the ever present m$ xp64 vs vista ...

looks like i may be waiting awhile longer for the dust to settle before i do that upgrade

One problem for Intel is that they are comparing a chip this is not out yet for public consumption against the best that AMD actually sells. It would be interesting to see how AMD will respond since 6 months can be an eternity in PC technology time scales.

Dukeman said:
One problem for Intel is that they are comparing a chip this is not out yet for public consumption against the best that AMD actually sells. It would be interesting to see how AMD will respond since 6 months can be an eternity in PC technology time scales.

Is it so hard to read?

They are comparing with an OVERCLOCKED FX60 (2.8Ghz) which won't be far off of what AMD will have to offer by that time.

Sjaak said:
Is it so hard to read?

They are comparing with an OVERCLOCKED FX60 (2.8Ghz) which won't be far off of what AMD will have to offer by that time.

AMD already has 2.8GHz CPU's
If in 6 months they cant do any better this is very bad FOR US and for AMD.
That surly will make AMD look like a Joke

I am running an X2 3800+ at 2.75Ghz....
But who care my CPU is 6 months OLD

You should not be compairing what Intel has in 6 months to what AMD has now.....

But really, are any of you impressed with only 20% faster CPUs in 6 months?

Mind you that this 2.66 model is supposed to be mid-range by then. The FX60 / 62 is the VERY BEST that AMD has to offer now. They will get totally smoked by extreme editions of the Conroe (3Ghz / more cache?).

Last edited:
Sjaak said:
Mind you that this 2.66 model is supposed to be mid-range by then. The FX60 / 62 is the VERY BEST that AMD has to offer now. They will get totally smoked by extreme editions of the Conroe (3Ghz / more cache?).

I sure hope your right.
But alot can change in 6 months

I hope amd does something nice with AM2, will force intel to keep the prices down cause i <3 my wallet :D

Socket F interests me more but that is another potential two birds in the bush, not one in hand.

Audioaficionado said:
Socket F interests me more but that is another potential two birds in the bush, not one in hand.

Mind letting us know whats so special about socket F?
As ar as I can tell its just the 940 replacement for DDR2. will be BGA, and will have better MultiCPU support (will scale better with more core)

JaY_III said:
Mind letting us know whats so special about socket F?
As ar as I can tell its just the 940 replacement for DDR2. will be BGA, and will have better MultiCPU support (will scale better with more core)
You answered your own question :p

I'm not a fan boy of either company. Intel has effectively slowed down AMD's premium processors sales at least until Conroe actually launches with this paper launch. I'll start believing when fellow overclockers get these and do comparisons without corporate sponsor oversight. AMD64 is still a little more refined than EM64T although both will still work fine in practice.

Audioaficionado said:
You answered your own question :p

I'm not a fan boy of either company. Intel has effectively slowed down AMD's premium processors sales at least until Conroe actually launches with this paper launch. I'll start believing when fellow overclockers get these and do comparisons without corporate sponsor oversight. AMD64 is still a little more refined than EM64T although both will still work fine in practice.

Who cares about EM64T and AMD64.
When it comes to Muilticore CPU's Intel needs a BUS that can compete
Their current solution does not scale as it was not designed for Muiticore or multiprocessors.

The more Cores you add the more AMD will have an advantage and this is the edge AMD has, a bus made from the start for SMP (thank you Alpha)

JaY_III said:
Who cares about EM64T and AMD64.
When it comes to Muilticore CPU's Intel needs a BUS that can compete
Their current solution does not scale as it was not designed for Muiticore or multiprocessors.

The more Cores you add the more AMD will have an advantage and this is the edge AMD has, a bus made from the start for SMP (thank you Alpha)
Yes Opteron/AMD64 do scale well with hyperlinking and on die memory controllers. I Don't think a Conroe paper launch is something people should be stopping their lives over. :rolleyes:

But if Conroe does end up surpassing AMD64, I might go with Intel next major build. I'll always go with which ever one gives me the best bang for the buck.

Audioaficionado said:
Yes Opteron/AMD64 do scale well with hyperlinking and on die memory controllers. I Don't think a Conroe paper launch is something people should be stopping their lives over. :rolleyes:

But if Conroe does end up surpassing AMD64, I might go with Intel next major build. I'll always go with which ever one gives me the best bang for the buck.

I 100% agree with you.
If Via would make a killer CPU i would even buy them... well providin they dont make the chipset :D

I find it more difficult to get excited about any new hardware release. What I get from these previews is pretty simple. The P4 is a dead architecture, and as such no one should be considering purchasing one. Anyone considering an AMD FX CPU may have been given pause by the Conroe benchmarks, but I don't think that should stop anyone from buying an AMD 64 if they really need the upgrade. The Conroe comparison reinforces just how good AMDs CPUs are.

There's always going to be something better "right around the corner" - so to speak.

Back