• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

s478 Overclocking Chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atomicfire

Registered
I'm still trying to get my rig to hit 4GHz:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=4351943#post4351943

But it seems like my 2.8E isn't going to cut it. I can barely boot at 3.8, somehow now it isn't even posting at 4.0 where it used to run in windows at 3.8, and post at 4.0

Anyaways i'm looking for suggestions on a good stepping s478 that will allow me to hit at least 4.0

I've read around, and the best chip seems to be like the 3.2E, but there seems to be a disagreement as to the C0 or D0 stepping would clock the highest.

Any ideas?

You want the 3.0e or 3.2e with E0 stepping... or newer...ran my 3.2@4 from jun to dec 05
3.0E is the: SL7PM or SL88J
3.2E is the: SL7PN or SL88K

I have not seen any results of sl88 steppings but the other should do 4 easy with good cooling.. even air cooling....

I would go for the 3.0E. Should hit 4GHz easy on water cooling. Air...it'll hit 4Ghz but isn't stable, at least in my experience. Also, not much difference between the 3.0, 3.2, 3.4 as far as oc'ing goes...small gains, but not much.

Besides, why spend the extra two bills on another 478 chip when the conroe is due out here pretty quick. It'll take these 478's and literally flush them down the toilet. Just my two cents anyway.

atomicfire said:
I'm still trying to get my rig to hit 4GHz:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=4351943#post4351943

But it seems like my 2.8E isn't going to cut it. I can barely boot at 3.8, somehow now it isn't even posting at 4.0 where it used to run in windows at 3.8, and post at 4.0

Anyaways i'm looking for suggestions on a good stepping s478 that will allow me to hit at least 4.0

I've read around, and the best chip seems to be like the 3.2E, but there seems to be a disagreement as to the C0 or D0 stepping would clock the highest.

Any ideas?

Same boat as you, I cannot push this thing above 260fsb regardless of voltage. One thing I'd look into is proper power management, I gained 100Mhz (3.5-3.6) by getting a better power supply as well and cooling the mosfets. A Prescott on a 478 will push the powerregulation systems to their absolute max. You don't necessarily have to sink them (mosfets) just make sure that they have some good cool air going directly over them, I did this by ducting my rear fan.

Back