• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Electro-magnetic field of Logitech z-5500 speakers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chemicallymark

Hi,

I was just about to order this online and read one final review. The reviewer spoke about a very strong EM (electro-magnetic) field given off by the sub.

He also mentioned that the PC should not be placed anywhere within 2 feet of the sub. otherwise damage may be caused. The review mentions power surges due to the high EM field could happen and that surge protection is required...

Have all you people out there with these speakers had any problems? How far is your PC from the sub?

I have read this thread http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=447475
but I just want to see if anybody else has a room as small as me :p

Thanks

This is the article I found this from an Amazon buyer...It's a bit worrying.

I know most of you that are reading this have probably heard nothing but praise for this nifty piece of hardware, I can assure that, that is true. however those reviewers may not understand electronics or sounds that well.

First off, if you order this (and you should!!) the box you get it in is absolutly gigantic! its so big that it did not fit through my front door, this is because of the subwoofer (subwoofer is bigger than my pc case! width and height! and i have a medium tower). Sound experience is nothing but out of this world! have it on half volume and you can hear it anywhere in the house, have in on full volume it can filter out nearly 100% of all sounds throughout your house as well as race your LCD monitor across the table! Definatly one worth owning for sound ethuastics or those who have money to burn.

HOWEVER- because the subwoofer is gigantic, it creates a deadly EM (electro-magnetic) field, meaning if you put your pc within 2 feet of the subwoofer or any piece of electronics no matter what it is you can cause some serious damage, especially if its prolonged contact. The field is so strong that it increases EMI coming from the power lines that can sometimes create random pops or puffs of sound to your speakers both soft and hard sounds.

The length of wire for each speaker is more than long enough to accomodate your room, but the master control unit to the subwoofer system has a limited cable.

Despite the amazing quality in sound and thx certified it is definatly worth owning if you can afford it. BUT if you buy this hardware YOU MUST purchase/own a surge protector that can protect the sound from increased EMI fields as well as have enough room so that the EM field within the woofer doesn't make contact with your pc equipment. If you don't you will experience mayhem poofs and puffs coming from your speakers and may risk damage to other components.

This is why i rated it 4 out 5 stars. Amazing but Dangerous!

I have the 2200 set (about the same size sub) and had the sub under my desk in a small dorm room when I was using it with no problems. I'd say the reviewer is just paranoid. Granted it's still not a great idea to put a sub on top of your computer, but keeping about 1.5 feet or so distance should be fine. Running your speakers and your system on separate power outlets can help for cleaner power supposedly as well. The 5500's sound pretty darn good and worth the money IMO.

Every Sub Ever gives off a big magnetic field. as long as your sub isnt right next case or monitor you should be fine, I have my 5500 sub about 4 feet away from my case and don't have any problems

well i have a 180w 8" sub about 16 inches from my computer, no problems

I think "paranoid" is putting it a little to PC...

First off, the sub is about 15" square (bloody small mid towere that guy must have).
As for my setup, I've had my printer sitting on the sub for almost two years now and it still works just fine. I've also god the sub plugged into a surge protector (and by that I mean a power strip with a fuse in it, not a UPC or the like) and have never once heard any audio "popping" or "puffing" that isn't in the original recording, at any level.

That review does have me curious, though... I'd like to know how a surge protector is going to eliminate EMI.

Dunno. Maybe, if it really does smooth out line noise. I've never personally given surge protectors credit for really doing so--I just expect them to blow up with a big power surge comes down the line, instead of my computer.

Either way, as cheap as it is... why not give it a shot?

i get popping sounds all the time, my sub is maybe 6 inches away from my pc and plugged into a surge protector yet still get popping sounds from it

WTF? There's no magnetic field. Unsheilded speakers have EM fields but the Z5500s are sheilded.

Like I'd trust an Amazon buying review.

Plenty of dumbasses on the internet gotta pick which ones you listen to.

^^ As for the popping. The early Z5500 had some issues, call Logitech they should be able to hook you up with some nice new ones.

Hmm... I'm kind of the loner here but I have Z-5300s and I didn't have a problem with my sub. It used to be underneath my computer and I had no problems. The monitor did flicker a bit when there was bass if the volume was all the way up though. However, I do have it plugged into a Belkin Surgemaster, not sure if that helps or not.

The people who have speaker systems you should plug it directly in to the wall and plug your systems in to a power bar. When your sub pounds it might just have enough power to blow out the coils inside your power bar killing the bar.

The most important thing is the plug you plug your speakers in to is grounded properly and with no faults.

I just got my z-5500's a day ago (i love it when a package i order weighs 80-100lbs) and they havent caused a problem yet. I have approx 2.5 feet between the sub and the computer, and approx 1.5 feet between the sub and the monitor. I've currently got them plugged into a power strip with 4 or so other things, and havent noticed any problems yet. I have an open plug on the wall but I tend to get paranoid about expensive hardware and unadulterated power. I doubt my power strip would really save me in an electical storm, but hey. Anyway, until I see some evidence otherwise, they're fantastic speakers, and plenty safe so long as you aren't computing in a refrigerator box.

-DarkAlexandr

Tebore said:
WTF? There's no magnetic field. Unsheilded speakers have EM fields but the Z5500s are sheilded.

Like I'd trust an Amazon buying review.

Plenty of dumbasses on the internet gotta pick which ones you listen to.

^^ As for the popping. The early Z5500 had some issues, call Logitech they should be able to hook you up with some nice new ones.
The sub afaik is not shielded. Logitech includes a warning label in every package specifically because of the subs EMI.

Also, the z-5500s do not have a grounding wire on the power connector(I have no idea why), so that creates a few issues. If they had included a ground, it would probably eliminate a lot of popping and static problems that people have. Also, I have a new revision z-5500 system, and it pops occassionaly. They did not fix the issue.

I'm pretty sure the sub is shielded. That warning is to cover their butts.

It's possible to add a grounding strap. Yeh you're right about it needing one. I was thinking about my the other amps in my house that are grounded and yeh it's important to have a good ground.

Cullam3n said:
Hmm... I'm kind of the loner here but I have Z-5300s and I didn't have a problem with my sub. It used to be underneath my computer and I had no problems. The monitor did flicker a bit when there was bass if the volume was all the way up though. However, I do have it plugged into a Belkin Surgemaster, not sure if that helps or not.

Surgemaster doesn't work as well as it says on the packet about removing 40dB of RFI/EMI noise.

Back