• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop for 3K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
Hey guys,

My father is about to get is (up to) 3k computer loan from the city of Orlando. So what do you guys think we should get? I was thinking of getting this . Are there any 2.16ghz models out? Since we have not got the loan yet but we are only 30 people away (~ a month). Once we come up on the list we have 3 weeks to get the info to them.

SO whats the latest on laptops, that are coming out? What do you guys recommend?

Dang dude... you don't have to spend a fortune to get a kickarse compy ;) That one there is a little more spendy than I expected... My computer is on par(maybe slightly less than par but up there) with that state of the art machine and I spent about $1600-1700 total see sig... you can get the dual core version of my laptop (i9400) at a pretty good price with a cupon...

if your looking for a good place to research laptops you can check out www.notebookforums.com they have a TON of info on all the major brands including laptop reviews and current deal postings too.

some major brands I'm going to reccomend are acer(the one you linked is pretty good but have you looked into the ferrari line?) top of the line Dell and sager models too.

Shelnutt2 said:
Hey guys,

My father is about to get is (up to) 3k computer loan from the city of Orlando. So what do you guys think we should get? I was thinking of getting this . Are there any 2.16ghz models out? Since we have not got the loan yet but we are only 30 people away (~ a month). Once we come up on the list we have 3 weeks to get the info to them.

SO whats the latest on laptops, that are coming out? What do you guys recommend?
The question is what are you inteneding to do with it? Porable, Power House little bit of both portable and power house, gaming, Battery life, Weight. That's the things you should consider. Give us an idea of intend rather than price range. One can get portable power house at 12.1 inch and other can get gaming monster at 17 inch.

well theres an alienware aurora m7700 with an X2 4200+ xp home sp2 17" WideXGA+ 1440 x 900 LCD 1 gig dual channel 6800 ultra 80 gig 5400rpm HD Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA and internal wireless for 2800 no tax no shipping. Ill probably get crap cause its Alienware but hey itts decent i think for 2800 :p

Alright, I want core dual definitely, no AMD X2's or any desktop chips. Here is what I plan on doing with it,

EVERYTHING

Well this laptop will kick *** compaired to my slow xeons, and my parents 530J. It will be used to chow presentations, so a s-video out jack is prefeared but not necessary (there are adapters we could buy with the left over money). I want it to be able to hold up in light/modered gaming so I can take the laptop to friends house and we can play C&C Generals/RA2 and other light games. I want it to have ~4 hour or longer battery life, and I want to be able to throw it out a car and it survive. (j/k on the throwing it out the car). I want at least a 14 inch screen. It needs to have intergrated wireless (make that the centrino platform). lastly I am desperate for at minimum 1 gig of ram (can that be DC?).

Last edited:
the 7900 mobile cards might be out in awhile... somewhere between 1-3 months down the road and maybe then dell will release the xps gen 3 :D

can you imagine? 17" screen, Core duo, 7900GTX...

wait did you say 5 hours or more battery life... ?

well that pretty much rules out a 7900gtx
now I've lost my train of thought... I guess I will sleep on what I was tryin to say lol...

I think you proably looking at most a 15.4" screen, to have a 5 hour battery life. The closest to that would be that Acer and the T60P (~4 hr. ), since any descrete grfx card sucks more power especially if its midrange and up. Thats assuming you want to use all the $3000. If you look at the normal t60 with a 14.1 screen and x1300, that might get you that extra hour with low brightness.

ozzlo said:
the 7900 mobile cards might be out in awhile... somewhere between 1-3 months down the road and maybe then dell will release the xps gen 3 :D

can you imagine? 17" screen, Core duo, 7900GTX...

wait did you say 5 hours or more battery life... ?

well that pretty much rules out a 7900gtx
now I've lost my train of thought... I guess I will sleep on what I was tryin to say lol...

Yeah a 78/7900GT/X in my opinion is a way over kill. Right now I have a ATI 9550 and my parents, intergraded graphics (which are not that bad).

OK, so maybe 4 hours instead of 5. I thought I had read the the new yohan's were suppose to get upwards of 8 hours battery life, that is why I had said 5 hours. :shrug:

listen what I really want is something that ash power, and battery life. Also something that can handle mild gaming, maybe an 6800go or 1600 (mobile version)? Not sure about a graphic card.

Oh and I am limited on were I can buy this. The company has to be willing to accept a dual signed check. Signed both my the City of Orlando and by my father.

i like how you're looking for a 6800 or better and call it mild gaming...

my laptop has a 6600 and a single core chip and it runs quake4, doom3, etc... those arent light games IMHO

why are you intent on spending so much? the spending curve peaks around 1700, every dollar after that point gets less and less return.

check out powernotebooks.com. small company, ill bet they could work out something on the check, and they have some rather powerful machines.

Como said:
i like how you're looking for a 6800 or better and call it mild gaming...

my laptop has a 6600 and a single core chip and it runs quake4, doom3, etc... those arent light games IMHO

why are you intent on spending so much? the spending curve peaks around 1700, every dollar after that point gets less and less return.

check out powernotebooks.com. small company, ill bet they could work out something on the check, and they have some rather powerful machines.

I'm coming here for advice, so don't get smart with me...

I DO NOT know what graphic card to be looking for I know I want something more than intergrated and (way) less than a 7900. I just remember seeing a while a go a 6800go. I haven't been looking at graphic cards, so I do not know what with them except I do know what the latest and greatest are...

I have up to 3 grand to spend. I do not have to spend it all, but I want a laptop that will last. Not a celeron that is already slow when i buy it.

I'll check out powernotebooks.

link

Gateway NX560XL with 2.0 Gh Dual Core, 1 gig ram, 100 gig hdd, and X1400 (not sure how good this card is), 12 cell battery

$1,763-leaves you with a lot of money, for what ever else you may need

Shelnutt2 said:
I'm coming here for advice, so don't get smart with me...

I DO NOT know what graphic card to be looking for I know I want something more than intergrated and (way) less than a 7900. I just remember seeing a while a go a 6800go. I haven't been looking at graphic cards, so I do not know what with them except I do know what the latest and greatest are...

I have up to 3 grand to spend. I do not have to spend it all, but I want a laptop that will last. Not a celeron that is already slow when i buy it.

I'll check out powernotebooks.

How is he getting smart? you're being defensive, what he said is very right. spending 3k on a notebook is a waste of money, in a year it'll barely be worth half of that.

Drec said:
How is he getting smart? you're being defensive, what he said is very right. spending 3k on a notebook is a waste of money, in a year it'll barely be worth half of that.

I was talking about his remark about the graphic card.

And yes you are right spending 3k on a laptop is not the best idea, thats why I came here to see what you guys would recommend. I was checking newegg and that acer was what I saw. But the gateway the guy above recommened looks nice.

Drec said:
I would not touch a gateway witha 20 foot pole.

Thats just you, some peopel would never touch a dell, or sony or Hp. Personal my family have had good luck with Gateways. We've owned 2.

Back