• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where the heck is this DRM crap?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cheator

I just finished setting up, my A8R-MVP to replace my Ultra-D NF4. So i booted her up, knowing i'd have to reinstall. About a minute later windows boots up, finds all but 1 driver (autio) and i'm ready to go...wtf!

This hing happened with my brother's computer as well. He had an A7V333 and an athlon XP 1800+. I thrw in some P3 based via chipset board with cpu and it didn't need a reinstall.

Is windows DRM just really really dumb?

Sorry I am a little confused, what dose DRM have to do with not finding a driver for your sound device? Is this a sound card, and is it integrated? Also have you tried downloading a new driver and reinstalling it manually?

Edit: Ok I think I get what you are saying a little better but could still be wrong so correct me if I am wrong. Are you saying that you replaced the motherboard on an already working pc, and Windows booted up like normal and just tried to install the new mobo without asking you to reactivate? If so I think this is probably due to Windows only requiring reactivation if you install new major compenets or more, as for it being stupid trust me when I say it knows you switched parts. Some how though you did not trigger a reactivation, though a reinstall would still be recommended to clear out the drivers from your old board.

Ah i wasn't clear, sorry.

Basically, i haven't reinstalled windows since I replaced my ultra-d with my a8r-mvp. I have always been told that any little change in hardware and windwos hatls. I have even seen it happen. But i changed from 1 chipset maker to a completly different one.. and it booted fine.

Ah ok. and yeah I will reinstall soon. I just seem a bit confused as to HOW i was able todo this. It should have BSODed and not let me in.

it seems to vary, some people change a harddrive - re-activate - some people change video card / ram - reactivate, some people change a NIC - reactivate, there really seems to be no consistancy to it.

The BSOD should of only happened by an error with the drivers and not DRM, though it is very possible to get a BSOD from an action like this it's not on purpose. The worst Windows does is tell you that to gain accsess into your account you must reactivate Windows.

One thing you can try is removing the "fastdetect" flag from the boot.ini file. The boot.ini file is hidden, in your root directory. The "fastdetect" flag tells windows not to look for new hardware when booting. Of course, to remove the flag, you will need to be able to boot the harddrive on the original system.

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
3. Under System Startup, click Edit. (Notepad will open)
4. Remove the "/fastdetect" characters, not the entire line!
5. In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save. \

Generally this prevents BSOD when changing major hardware, but I prefer a full new intallation anyhow

Cheator said:
I just finished setting up, my A8R-MVP to replace my Ultra-D NF4. So i booted her up, knowing i'd have to reinstall. About a minute later windows boots up, finds all but 1 driver (autio) and i'm ready to go...wtf!

This hing happened with my brother's computer as well. He had an A7V333 and an athlon XP 1800+. I thrw in some P3 based via chipset board with cpu and it didn't need a reinstall.

Is windows DRM just really really dumb?

umm...this has no relation to DRM at all. The reasoning for people to have to reinstall windows after a major hardware change is due to driver issues. I have had it work sometimes, others I havent.

DRM is just a basis for companies to say what you can and cannot do with your files.

Back