• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7900GT - buy OC or Stock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tranceaddict

The 7900GT's core ranges from stock 450MHZ to XFX model's 560MHz and the memory from 1320MHz stock to the XFX model's 1650MHz. The difference in price is $20 Canadian. I know a lot of you will say get the stock and OC yourself, but could it not be the case the these OCed models are hand picked and clock better? Sounds to me like its worth the extra 20 bucks, what do you think?

its too early to tell. wait until people start getting their evga 7900gts, or other modestly clocked brands, and see how high they can get them on stock cooling.

does the xfx have better cooling or cooling on the ram? If it does, id get the xfx.

thats a nice overclock on the xfx card regardless. <3 7900gt :)

^^^Agreed, look for cooling, not necessarily clocks. Find one that cools the memory, and it'll probably end up being factory overclocked as well.

tranceaddict said:
From the pictures it looks that the cooling is the same across all the GT models.
In which case i would say get a cheaper (but still good brand) non-oced model. I think most of the time, you should be able to get just as good of clocks if not better if you just do it yourself.....

What I would realy like to see is if the OCed boards have higher rated memory. The pictures of the refrence Nvidia board showed Samsung ram rated for 700MHz, but after looking up the part number there is another revision of the same Samsung ram rated for 800MHz. If the OCed cards come with 800MHz ram instead of 700MHz, they would be considerably more interesting.

When you guys start getting your parts in, could you let us know if they've got the K4J55323QG-BC14(700MHz) or the K4J55323QG-BC12(800MHz) ram.

Last edited:
I can tell you from watercooling two evga 7800gt's that water cooling hasn't improved overclock at all but elimnated artifacts at the maxium overclock

Back