• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will a amd athlon xp-m 3000 fit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asus-a7v8x

will a amd athlon xp-m 3000 fit on my asus a7v8x board???? i have a chance to get one and im tierd of being ripped on cuz my 2800+ xp is slow (2.3 gig)

Well, I bet you that a 3000+ won't overclock any better than a 2800+ anyways. I wouldn't waste the time personally. I have a 2600+ mobile and it's at 2315 right now, I'd go higher but I have a stock T-Bird 1000Mhz cooler. I think your graphics card would be a good idea to upgrade if you really want to use the system to play games, as a 3000+ would just be a waste of money. I reccommend a 6600GT if you want a $100-$140 card (depending on where you look, Newegg, Zipzoomfly). Or a 6800GS for around $240, I wouldn't spend the money on a 7800GS, because if you upgrade your whole system you can get a 7900GT for the same price with nearly double the performance.

ok i get that but how far can you juice up a 3000+ mobile i want power but stability my 2800 is stable at 2.3 but it runs with about 1.8 volts going to it. i herd the mobiles take less voltage to oc them. plus a 3000 mobile runs at 2.2 i think i cant remember??

asus-a7v8x said:
ok i get that but how far can you juice up a 3000+ mobile i want power but stability my 2800 is stable at 2.3 but it runs with about 1.8 volts going to it. i herd the mobiles take less voltage to oc them. plus a 3000 mobile runs at 2.2 i think i cant remember??

Not much I'm afraid! You could be much better of living with your OCed 2800+ IF you have good cooling in your PC case. However your "mx 440 video card" is grossly under-power compared to the rest of your system. I would upgrade this video card if I were you to get much better overall performance, and be even upgrade your RAM to 1GB in total to achieve much better results.

I agree with OCdragon here. Get a 9800PRO, 6600GT, something along those lines - It will be the best upgrade in your situation.

Agreed on the CPU-not worth it.

asus-a7v8x said:
ok wat knind of card???? im not a hard core gamer? a little bit of mohaa and alot of brood wars

vid card

My recommendation. It'll be more than enough for a decent price. The stock cooling on the GPU is only average-I may be lapping/reapplying on mine in the next few days-but it's a good AGP card solution for the price.

And don't even bother using the installation software disc (unles you need DX9) just use the forceware drivers.

Whatever card you get, it can be a good idea to run drivercleaner before you install the new vid card drivers.

Last edited:
Back