• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spire Mid ATX case purchase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silenzzzz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811220011

i am picking up a cheap case that has more room in it then my former one.

has anyone used this case before? ... trying to find out about the material at the bottom front of the case .. if it is preferated for fan to travel through? or if the fan jus thas little vents at the bottom of the plastic ...

considering if i should change the 80 in the front out to a 120 ... and add an 80 at the top of the case ...

my PS has a bottom mounted 120 ... for exhaust in the case ... so trying to make sure i am going to have enough intake fans pulling into the case ...

I looks looks like it has a space in the front of the case for a fan-

One thing that would concern me is that I don't see an opening in the front bezel for air to enter- that usually means that air will enter the front of the case through a small slot on the bottom of the front bezel. The slot size can usually be increased easy enough to increase airflow.

The big problem with that location is that if the case is sitting on carpet, the intake slot will be blocked. I have remedied this on a few cases by replacing the standard case feet with drawer pulls/knobs bought at Home Depot.

So it looks like a nice case, but you might need to mod it a bit.

And replacing the front fan with a 120mm fan will require some metal work- I've used a dremel and also a Radio Shack nibbler to create the larger hole.

mine sits on the ground under a table so i will raise it up a bit either way (mostly for easier access) ...

my last case only had the opening on the bottom, and it always had trouble with temp i ended up leaving the side of it off ...

if this one does only have the bottom slot i will likely drill holes or cut the opening in the front bottom of the plastic to allow better flow from the front of the case instead of a slot on the bottom of it ...

guess on some of my questions i will need to just get the case here to figure out exactly what i will have to do to it ...

I've enlarged the bezel slots pretty easily with Aviation Tin snips- you could also use a plain pair of pliers, breaking a litle bit of the plastic off at a time.

Back