• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

convert notebook LCD into a desktop LCD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E_tron

Is it possible to convert my Compaq Presario 1700T's 14 in LCD into a monitor that can be plugged into standard VGA, DVI, or composite, component inputs? If i had to guess, i would need some kind of driver circuits similar to what is found in desktop LCDs. Can these be... bought? I think the technology is called LDVS (similar to the LCD inputs found on via EPIA boards) and it looks like the connector on my LCD panel easily connects to the LDVS connector on via EPIA boards.

Considering the small form factor of this notebook LCD, i want to mount it in a picture frame and hang it on the wall (something not easily accomplished with desktop lcd panels).

Any input?

Thanks

The general consensus is that *compatible* lcd controllerboards are too expensive to make it worth the hassle, not too sure about the Epia option though: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=181128

It'd probably be cheaper just picking up a used 15" or 17" lcd on ebay and just stripping it down. It's not that hard, you just have to be careful not to tear the sensitive FFC video cables inside (they look like smaller flat white IDE cables). Removing an lcd + internals from it's case ought to make it about an inch or so "flatter"...

Back