• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

external hard drive questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris_PC

Registered
Hi everyone, Im looking for an external hard drive and want some recommendations
Needs to be:
Around 150GB
Have Firewire and USB(I think i want firewire?, i believe its faster)
As cheap as possible, but decent quality

This is a perfect example of wht im looking for:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....5456_W0QQfromZR40QQfviZ1&item=8774595456&rd=1

Any opinions on that one, or recommendations on other would be appreciated.
Thanks!

PS: do you people back up everything on the hard drive(like a complete copy), or only files etc that are important or that you have the CD for(games etc)?

Chris_PC said:
Hi everyone, Im looking for an external hard drive and want some recommendations
Needs to be:
Around 150GB
Have Firewire and USB(I think i want firewire?, i believe its faster)
As cheap as possible, but decent quality

This is a perfect example of wht im looking for:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....8774595456&rd=1

Any opinions on that one, or recommendations on other would be appreciated.
Thanks!

PS: do you people back up everything on the hard drive(like a complete copy), or only files etc that are important or that you have the CD for(games etc)?
thats nice hdd, i copy just file

but u can buy a harddrive from newegg, and then buy a external enclosure, converts it to external.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144129

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817146307

I cant order from newegg because i live in the UK.
Ive looked into getting a seperate HDD and case but cant seem to find it cheaper than buying them together in the UK.
I presume you just back up the certain importantn things you have rather than a whole copy of the hard drive?

Chris_PC said:
I cant order from newegg because i live in the UK.
Ive looked into getting a seperate HDD and case but cant seem to find it cheaper than buying them together in the UK.
I presume you just back up the certain importantn things you have rather than a whole copy of the hard drive?
yea, that hdd u looking to buy is nice so i would go with that, i have a 40gb portable hdd, and i just backup things that are important

buy a case with a fan (30-60$ us). best deal on ide's is around 120$ for a 250gb drive (us). They also make enclosures that support sata's. Usb will have more compatibility than fw but either works fine for simple communication. As far as speed, fw800 (more$$) is faster than usb but regular fw400 is a little slower but also uses less resources

Last edited:
Here's what mine looks like
dsc000014ba.jpg

dsc000024iu.jpg

i tried firewire and well i like usb better lol

habbajabba said:
buy a case with a fan (30-60$ us). best deal on ide's is around 120$ for a 250gb drive (us). They also make enclosures that support sata's. Usb will have more compatibility than fw but either works fine for simple communication. As far as speed, fw800 (more$$) is faster than usb but regular fw400 is a little slower but also uses less resources

Im not that bothered about getting that much storage, im mainly looking for the cheapest possible drive that will not break as soon as i get it. The one i likend to has a 3 year warranty so i think that is my best(and cheapest) option. Im not sure what type of firewire it has(if you could take a look it would be appreciated). I need to know weather its worth it or not because i know my PC will definately have a FW connection.

Redrumy3: why did you like USB better?

So my best bet would be to go with that drive but without the USB/firewire combined for an extra £7?

PS: thanks for the super-quick replies!

Chris_PC said:
So my best bet would be to go with that drive but without the USB/firewire combined for an extra £7?

PS: thanks for the super-quick replies!
if u can get one with both that would be nice

Ok, so if i get the £7 upgrade i will get
"Our standard drive is USB1 & USB2, but we also offer a combined Firewire (IEEE1394) & USB2 version of this drive for an extra £7.00 which also includes a 6-6 pin firewire cable. If you have a laptop which requires the smaller 4-pin or iLink/S400 cable, please see "Extras" below"

That should be exactly what i need then, and not too bad at £80 inc postage

Chris_PC said:
Ok, so if i get the £7 upgrade i will get
"Our standard drive is USB1 & USB2, but we also offer a combined Firewire (IEEE1394) & USB2 version of this drive for an extra £7.00 which also includes a 6-6 pin firewire cable. If you have a laptop which requires the smaller 4-pin or iLink/S400 cable, please see "Extras" below"

That should be exactly what i need then, and not too bad at £80 inc postage
nope, looks good

Back