• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Knoppix & USB Thumb Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itshondo

Knoppix 4.0 & USB Thumb Drive/Integrated Sound Problems

Knoppix 4.0 doesn't recognize my 512mb Lexar thumb drive-

Knoppix 4.0 installed to the hard drive-
Mobo is a Biostar M7NCG 400 Nforce 2 - usb recognized by windows and other distros.

Also, the Integrated AC97 Sound is not recognized- the southbridge is NVIDIA nForce2 MCP.

I'm just know pokin' around, playing with this new install, semi-lost.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
USB:

Have you tried any other thumbdrives with that specific install? Are you sure the kernel has all the USB support and everything it needs?

Sound:

I suppose you could search for drivers for your soundcard on http://www.alsa-project.org/

There are probably apt-get packages for the drivers you need. Try that and see if it works. If not you might have to try to do it manually. :shrug: ALSA is not too fun to get working, the docs are very nice though.

Well, I gave up on Knoppix and installed Fedora Core 4.0.

Now the front or rear USB ports can't see the thumb drive or my external USB hard drive.

Must be an Nvidia Nforce chipset driver problem.

I believe nVidia provides binary driver packages for Redhat/FC distro's on their website. Or at least they used to. I'd give those a try before surrendering.

I downloaded the Nforce 2 chipset drivers last night- they aren't in a rpm package so I have to figure out how to install them.

The Nvidia instructions said to open a root terminal and copy/paste a command, didn't work- said the file location didn't exist. So I need to figure out how to tell the terminal where the file is. Probably an easy task, but my experience is limited.

Try unpacking it, then open up a terminal and cd to the directory. Then run whatever file in there with root powers. If that doesn't work, boot to a single user (runlevel 2) console, log in as root, and try it from there. That's how I did it for my NF2 board.

OK, thanks guys- I'm gonna close this thread and open a new Fedora Drivers thread.

Back