• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

165 vs 3700+ vs 4200+ X2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

m3thuselah

165/3700+/4200+ X2

I am building a new pc and choosing a CPU is difficult.

I haven't really overclocked before, but I have read a few guides from the interweb and it doesn't seem terribly complicated.

So everyone tells me to get a 165, lots of people get 2.6 Ghz out of them happily. But I am not too familiar with the whole overclocking thing and I am a little worried i'll fry my chip or just end up with a dud.

For around the same price as the 165 I could get the 4200+ X2, still with dual core goodness and running stock at 2.2 Ghz. I would think the 165 has to overclock 3-400 Mhz just to run at the same speed as a 4200. However just how much the two 512kb L2 caches on the 4200 will slow it down, I have no idea.

Finally the single core option, the 3700+. $200 cheaper than dual cores and apparently they overclock quite nicely.

I'm thinking with a 4200 or 3700 anything I get over the standard clock speed is a bonus. 2.2 is enough for anything I really want and if it doesn't go much faster than that it'll be ok. However 1.8 Ghz (for the 165) does suck some balls and I wouldn't be happy if my 165 couldn't at least get to the 2.2 Ghz of the other two processors. Then it would be sweet, a 2.2 Ghz dual core with 1 Mb L2 cache.

You think I could learn to overclock in the next few days well enough to get the best possible chance of getting 2.2 Ghz out of a 165?

I am just wanting to play games. New ones, really fast :) Do i even need dual core anyway?

Last edited:
Listing your hardware helps. For instance if you have a DFI nf4 with decent ram you should be able to at the very least hit 2.5 with the opty 165 and thats if you are really unlucky. Post all your gear and we will have a better idea.
I will go dual core gaming or not because unless you plan to upgrade soon, gaming is eventually going to support dual cores so you will be ready, besides, with dual core you can leave other stuff running on the background without hurting your gaming performance. Look at my sig :)

Well that's the thing. I don't have any of the hardware yet, I am looking for suggestions to what to buy for all of it.

But low budget, I can't afford uber leet RAM. I was thinking Corsair's Value Select for the RAM and a 7900GT. So around $500 to spend on the CPU (Australian), and that's really any of the three I listed in the thread title.

3700+, 4200+ X2 or the 165.

Here is a motherboard I was looking at, an Epox.

http://www.epox.com.tw/eng/products_content.php?ps=403

I can get that for $135, heaps cheaper than a DFI. Could I put an Opty on that though?

Yes the motherboard you listed will do nicely. I heard that they overclock pretty well too_Out of the 3 processors id go with the 165, it seems like the best bang for the buck.

165 or 3800-X2. The 165 should come with a nice heatpipe cooler. You might check that before you order.

ASUS A8N-E works fine for me.

m3thuselah said:
I am building a new pc and choosing a CPU is difficult.

I haven't really overclocked before, but I have read a few guides from the interweb and it doesn't seem terribly complicated.

So everyone tells me to get a 165, lots of people get 2.6 Ghz out of them happily. But I am not too familiar with the whole overclocking thing and I am a little worried i'll fry my chip or just end up with a dud.

For around the same price as the 165 I could get the 4200+ X2, still with dual core goodness and running stock at 2.2 Ghz. I would think the 165 has to overclock 3-400 Mhz just to run at the same speed as a 4200. However just how much the two 512kb L2 caches on the 4200 will slow it down, I have no idea.

Finally the single core option, the 3700+. $200 cheaper than dual cores and apparently they overclock quite nicely.

I'm thinking with a 4200 or 3700 anything I get over the standard clock speed is a bonus. 2.2 is enough for anything I really want and if it doesn't go much faster than that it'll be ok. However 1.8 Ghz (for the 165) does suck some balls and I wouldn't be happy if my 165 couldn't at least get to the 2.2 Ghz of the other two processors. Then it would be sweet, a 2.2 Ghz dual core with 1 Mb L2 cache.

You think I could learn to overclock in the next few days well enough to get the best possible chance of getting 2.2 Ghz out of a 165?

I am just wanting to play games. New ones, really fast :) Do i even need dual core anyway?

hey man im right next with you, i havent started to OC but it doesnt seem hard just need help and basic things .. and also im thinking about the 165 too .. first i was gonna get a 170 but its $80 more so i dont know. .

read my post http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=448289

good luck man

get the RAM that is in my post.. they say its good and has good timings.

I'd go with the Opty. It's easily overclockable and it should not be hard at all to get at least 2.6ghz, provided that you don't get an absolute dud.

I am bit ahead of you. I went for the Opteron 165 having no overclocking experience. It is definatley good bang for the buck. There are a lot of guides around for how to OC your CPU if it is something you are interested in. I have mine up to 2.6 stable. It took a little while, OCing takes a long time for tests and stuff but it works out nicely sometimes. I do not have experience gaming as my video card is keeping me down, but I will be upgrading that soon.

id say the opty 165 or x2 3800+ im kinda partial to my 3800+ however. cant go wrong either way and they are similar in price.

Back