• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WildMonkey

Hi guys.

I recently got a BFG 7800 GT, DFI Ultra-D Lanparty NF4, 148 Opteron, OCZ 2x512 Gold VX.

I been having a monster of a time trying to get my comp up and running. It took me days just to get it stable.

It was getting stuck at MUP.SYS at startup and everytime I re-installed windows it ran CHKDSK and found zillions of errors and index problems.

The HD's were fine before the upgrade.

I overclocked it. But I think I did it wrong. I was getting a bunch of corrupted sectors. So I formated the HD and removed the OC and everything seems okay for now.

Stupid me, I was running the system with an old 350w PSU that only had 20 pins (board is 24 pin) while my new 550w PSU got here.

I'm almost sure it was a power issue, but I might have also set up the memory settings wrong, which can also contribute to data corruption.

What do you guys think, and how do I safely do the OC?

Thanks.

I think you'll have better luck with the new PSU.

To reduce the chances of corrupting the entire disk again, run only Prime95 and other stability tests until you've got it stable. Definitely avoid defragging the disk or running an on the fly defragmenter if you're not 100% sure of your CPU and memory stability.

To reduce the risks of overvolting, read this sticky:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=384756

Back