• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Short string versus long string in Prime..whats is the difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eightballrj

I am getting consistent short strings at 2.61 on my opteron on Core 0 about 10 minutes into prime 95(new one). I am told that could be mobo or memory related. But, I dont see how it could be memory as it memtests out fine and I am underrated speeds(ddr500) I am at ddr 470 with a 5/6 divider. Anyone got any ideas? I just would like to find out what my bottle neck is... This is water cooled also btw. Temps on the cpu <37 degs full load ~ 26-27 idle. Thanks a bunch guys!!

Richard Jackson

the short ones test the cpu more, the longer ones lean more on the memory. When im trying to find my cpu max I use 8k exclusively. If its just one core im going to have to say its the chip.

I think we are talking about two different things. When you have a rounding error in P95 it either reads something like .422345092340 but got .5 or..... .4 but go .5 hence short string of numbers versus a long string of numbers. Somewhere someone said they indicated different things.

Thanks,
Richard

Back