• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Optimize for quick removal problems...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gt24

I found something interesting about Windows XP...

In the past I have always "Optimized for quick removal" my jump drives. This is a good thing to choose, right? Well, I haven't had any issues except for my Sandisk jump drive which died, a "delayed write failed" on the drive, I removed it, and now it is useful for only a keychain...

New jump drive later I just assumed that Sandisk jump drives weren't all that they were cracked up to be. :) So, later on, I have a new USB hard drive enclosure with a Western Digital drive in there, a rather recent one. Off of the front USB 2.0 ports I run this drive and after a short amount of time I get a "delayed write failed" while defragmenting it. Lovely. Using it later, when copying (similar to when my Sandisk died), "delayed write failed". I back up the data, format the drive, start copying it back and "delayed write failed".

When a delayed write failed message appears, Windows demounts the drive (so I cannot safely remove it) and the busy light goes solid. Can't be good for the drive... but so far it has bounced back each time. <edit> Since the light is solid busy, I have to do the horrible thing of turning off the drive and turning it back on to get it to respond again. This is the reason that I said that this can't be good for the drive... However, for a jump drive, I can see how such a thing would be FATAL. </edit>

Ticked off, I randomly decide to change that drive to "Optimize for Performance" instead of "Optimize for quick removal". Guess what... I have NO PROBLEMS!! So, is this telling me that I killed my jump drive of old because I "Optimized for quick removal"? Tell me that I am incorrect in my deductions here....

When my jump drive was destroyed it was under somewhat older drivers. However, since then, Windows kinda died (non-related event) and I had to reinstall at the beginning of the year (January) and at that time I downloaded the lastest motherboard drivers (NForce 2, Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard, version 5.10 drivers). So, I believe I am running the latest, although I could be incorrect...

Back