• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron 144 unstable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shiva1

Please help me!

Here are my specs, I just put this computer together this weekend.

Opteron 144
DFI NF4 Ultra-D
2X 512 mb OCZ Plat rev 2
Asus 6800 GT
No Audio
Cooler Master Hyper 6, with taped on fans on both sides

I got the computer to boot. I am using my old hard drive, 1 pin on the back is bent, but I bent it back into place and it seems to boot. The hard drive is out of the case, it's just sitting on my table. The first couple of times I booted it got to windows. And then I started raising htt. I hit 230 htt. And it was still running. Then I took the computer from a room to a different room and hooked it up to my LDC. After that I tried to boot it up. It got to windows, past the loading windows XP screen, then, a black screen appears, with a wall of text, i'm not sure what it says, it goes by too fast, then it restarts again automatically. I'm not sure what's going on. Can someone explain to me what's going on? It just reboots again and once it gets pass the Windows XP screen, the black screen with text appears for a second then it restarts again. Even when I change bios settings back to default, the same thing happend. I don't think it's windows, because It was working fine before. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

By the way, I checked temps using the bios, and the cpu is at 32 C. Is that good? What is a good software for checking system temperature?

Every once in a while you can take a hard drive out of a machine and just pop it in another one and Xp will boot and after a bit it will go through an enormous amount of hardware detection and the like and your good to go. Usually though something goes wrong, no drivers etc. and the OS will not function properly if at all. This is especially true with out of the box crap like eMachines.

You really should reload for the best OS for your current configuration. I do this even for something like a large memory upgrade. Windows will run better for you if you do a fresh install every now and then.

You could try a safe mode boot just to check and see if it is a software problem but you really should reload the OS

One question though

"Opteron 144
DFI NF4 Ultra-D
2X 512 mb OCZ Plat rev 2
Asus 6800 GT
No Audio
Cooler Master Hyper 6, with taped on fans on both sides"

are the extra fans blowing out instead of in? If they are blowing in you may be slowing down all three fans by making them work against each other

32 is good

stabob said:
Every once in a while you can take a hard drive out of a machine and just pop it in another one and Xp will boot and after a bit it will go through an enormous amount of hardware detection and the like and your good to go. Usually though something goes wrong, no drivers etc. and the OS will not function properly if at all. This is especially true with out of the box crap like eMachines.

You really should reload for the best OS for your current configuration. I do this even for something like a large memory upgrade. Windows will run better for you if you do a fresh install every now and then.

You could try a safe mode boot just to check and see if it is a software problem but you really should reload the OS

One question though

"Opteron 144
DFI NF4 Ultra-D
2X 512 mb OCZ Plat rev 2
Asus 6800 GT
No Audio
Cooler Master Hyper 6, with taped on fans on both sides"

are the extra fans blowing out instead of in? If they are blowing in you may be slowing down all three fans by making them work against each other

32 is good

Thank you very much. I will do a fresh install of Windows XP. For a while reason Windows Xp seemed to be working for a while on the new setup though.

The two fans are blowing into each other. I will have one blowing out next time. Again thanks for the reply.

Back