• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Freezes when playing Counter Strike: Source

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1twelve2

Before i get flamed, i already went to the steam support thing... and of course, it was to no avail. :bang head

System Specs:
CPU - AMD X2 4400+ (stock Speed of 2.2GHz)
MOBO - ABIT AN8-SLi
RAM - 2x512 Kingston HyperX PC3200
GPU - nVidia BFG 7800GT OC (stock OC)
PSU - Enermax 535w SLi (not running SLi)

The Problem:
Randomly, i mean randomly, the game ( CS:S ) will lock-up and loop sounds. Sometimes i will get an error Message and i can restart the game. Other times, my whole computer locks up, so im forced to hold the power button. And sometimes, the game locks with no error message, but i can still do other things (Ventrilo, or whatever is on my 2nd monitor) and with that i still have to manually restart to get back up and running.

I used to get a BSOD error of "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" but not lately. Could this be a hardware issue?

Thanks for replies in advance. :)

ok, i guess this isnt in the right place? ADMIN can you move it to the appropriate forum, so i can get some help? :shrug:

post it on steam forums better help there :) , well not better but theyll find u a fix since it's there game :D

Sounds like a hardware issue to me. In fact, I used to get the same thing. Turned out my cpu/ram were overclocked too high.

How are your temps (both cpu and gpu)? Try underclocking your cpu or running the ram at a lower frequency, maybe you have a faulty stick?
Does this happen in any other game or just CS:S?

****EDIT****

just found this: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=8659

Those people seem to have the same problem as you. It may be an issue with dual core amd processors and nvidia video card drivers. What driver set are you using now?
Try switching back to 7xxx, namely 78.03

Last edited:
redrumy3 said:
post it on steam forums better help there :) , well not better but theyll find u a fix since it's there game :D

did you read the FIRST thing i posted???

Thanks termin@tor, im reverting back to the 78.01 drivers now

1twelve2 said:
did you read the FIRST thing i posted???

Thanks termin@tor, im reverting back to the 78.01 drivers now
not the support thing, they have a forum, unless by the support u mean forum..?

redrumy3 said:
not the support thing, they have a forum, unless by the support u mean forum..?

well, the steam forum is filled with kids complaining about why their dell dimension 300 only pulls 15fps, or how they need a grenade launcher, or how they need sunglasses to counteract flashbangs. i didnt even waste my time. :rolleyes:

UPDATE: when i open the game, i can 'CTRL+ALT+DEL' and set the cpu affinity to core 0, and the game runs fine... is there a way to setup a program to use one core? without having to 'CTRL+ALT+DEL' every time i play it?

if you set explorer to affinity 1 all programs will then launch with that core only.

I've had mad problems with HL2 with my opt 170. Crashes. runs choppy. Sound loops and random reboots. Hl2 doesn't seem to like to run on both cores.

thefly said:
if you set explorer to affinity 1 all programs will then launch with that core only.

I've had mad problems with HL2 with my opt 170. Crashes. runs choppy. Sound loops and random reboots. Hl2 doesn't seem to like to run on both cores.

ok... but wouldnt that cut my CPU power in half? i just want to know how to set the affinity for hl2.exe...

Back