• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Minimum to average budget for phase?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darufe

I was wondering what kind of investment ill have to throw in phase to get a basic/medium setup.
preferably not too noisy.
dont need really crazy temps if the price difference isnt extreme i wont complain tho :p
This would be for every day use not for suicide screenshots and such.
With relatively safe volts too.

any input welcome

To buy a new one?
To buy a used one?
To buy a custom built one?
For the price of the parts to build one? + The cost of the proper tools and supplies?

all of the above? ;)
xept buying a new one thats way out of budget.
specially considering i might scrap my old car soon and salvage the ac parts

used.. around $300+
custom build, depends on the builder and what you want exactly (wich means you might want to do the reaserch and find out exactly what you want beforehand to keep from having any disapointments) $vaires The builders are on diffent boards and generaly super busy, like 6 months to get a single stage done sometimes more time then that..
parts to build one.. this can become a point of what you can stand to look at and tollerate as far as noise goes, if you dont mind a ugly as sin loud as a 747 unit you might be able to pick up all the parts for next to nothing/free.
danfloss compressors would be the biggest expense, someone else might know the cost of one of these, I cant seem to get chilly1's website up and I can only find other brands for sale online and they run in the $250 range for a new one.
a good set of gauges run up to $200 adiquite gages seem to run around $100 maybe less,
good vacume pump up to $300+ used good one a little over $100-150 ebay style or a used/salvaged compressor that pulls a very good vacume like a big rotory from a aircon but its not going to do as good a job free to very little.
nitogen and a decent regulator valve set for purging and preasure testing look at your prices localy welders use this stuff and ok regulator valves start out at $40 if Im not mistaken tanks well check those localy to.
evap, you can order a setup for 100.. but you can make one as well if you can machine copper, flex line- you got me I would have to order it from the same guys that sell the evaps I dont know were to get it just yet..
a recovery tank would be needed as well.
brazing supplies like a torch and silver soder rods and flux. it depends on the torch, a benzomatic might get the job done but thats a big maybe on a full system build and from what I read a full blown propane torch is almost impossible to braze a evaporator, other torch types with more heat would be better IMO.

It helps if your going to be only building one or cracking into one system to have a freind or relitive in the HAVC business so alot of these tools are somewere around availble for you to use, or to find someone to help you would be ideal.. the cost adds up but if you have to adjust the charge or change anything these tools will be needed again..
ramble ramble ramble on my part..
its tough to answer these questions because if you leave something important out and someone goes off building a unit and gets themselves hurt it would well.. thats bad..

Back