• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Idea, has anyone tried this.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oper8or

I was thinking of a way to save some space in my case with a pump and res.. has anyone here tried using a submersible pump like this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...h.)&ref=3554&subref=AA&GCID=C12188x006&ctt=64
and build a rez out of thier own mats that would take up two bays.. kinda like the dd one http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=54&cat=27&page=1
and if you have what experience did you get from it. How did it perform? I'm just wondering. I plan on upgrading my cooling a bit.. the one I'm using now just isnt cutting the cake for me.. I cant seem to push the limits of my comp like this.. I need something a little better so I can cool my x2 vid cards as well.

basically that is what koolance did. Works but if the pump fails and you can not get the same shape/style of pump you are screwed.

skotti said:
basically that is what koolance did. Works but if the pump fails and you can not get the same shape/style of pump you are screwed.

Yeah I thought of that. What I would do is buy 2 pumps just in case. Keep one stored back for a later time if needed. "IF" I used a rez from DD how would I go about getting the pump inside. That is the hard part. Sealing it would be easy. I do have a lot of experience with that part. Boat manufacturing. :) I do plan on going 1/2 this time. This setup doesnt flow enough water at all. I'm going to put this setup in our other older comp. I can see how I want to do it in my head.. I just cant explain it easily.
Your right, it would add heat to the water itself. Do you think it would be enough heat to worry about?
I'm already shooting myself in the foot for even thinking of this. Might just "go with the flow" like everyone else and buy a new DD pump.

I don't see a head pressure rating for that pump on the DrfosterSmith website. Got any idea what it is?

voigts said:
I don't see a head pressure rating for that pump on the DrfosterSmith website. Got any idea what it is?
Not a clue. I'll do some checking online.. I'm also going to look at the local pet store.. just for fun.

I use one of the submersible fountain pumps that Home Depot sells, rated at 21" head & 170GPH, I believe most of them are around the same size to GPH so if one fails, just a trip tot he local Home Depot (or pet store) will yield the same.

As for temps, my CPU remains at a nearly constant 32c idle/42-46c under full load (folding) and never has strayed much from that range. As for adding heat to the loop, the smaller pumps (150-215GPH) don't really add enough to worry about, usually around 1C at most on my system.

Last edited:
I will be in Knoxville today applying for my school grants again. So I am going to make it a point to stop in and see how much the pump is at the local petshop and make a stop at compusa so I can check on set of 120mm fans. I'll post back on what I can find. Its got me wondering about a seperate box with the rad and rez in there with both the 120mm fans in it. I have an extra ps :) so that is no problem.

I know 'rotor' used to have a website for his diy blocks and he tried using that mini-pump[or one just like it] just to see how well it did. I believe it did ok.

I have my daughter's pc rig'd up with a Marineland 660 Powerhead in a 4" conduit box.
I had to modify the powerhead with an outlet fitting but it's been running her 2800+ excellent for the last year. That 'pump/res' was my ultimate bargain - $2 garage store find on the powerhead and HomeDepot forgot to charge me the $9 for the conduit box. Total cost was under $35 for diy copper blocks, BIM, brass barbs, 2 x 92mm fans, tubing, ac relay circuit, fuse holder, wiring, resin ducting. It's all in her repainted mini HP tower - ha, trash pick on that too.:)

Back