• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 930 has arrived

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
<<<-- Stoked for ya :cool:

four? wow! I thought you had been though three tops..

Good luck proth! I thought the last one you got was "decent"?

They won't be out for another month yet AFAIK and then who knows how long before the old stuff clears out of the retail channels and they start popping up...

The last 930 hit 4.75 stable. Ebay'd it for $340.
Have been running the 955 for the last 2-3 weeks, should keep me from jones'in till conroe.

Pack date on this box is 02/06/06. Pretty sure it's the original stepping

Thanks...Should have some results by 8:00 tonight. Expecting total failure this time around so I'll be happy if 4GHz is hit.

How much juice did your last one take to hit 4.75 Ghz ?

I've tried (5) 920s and (3) 930s and none have been able to do any better than my current 930 (#1), which is only good for 4.4Ghz at 1.4v Actual / 1.475v BIOS. Other 2 930s were barely good to 4.0.

I'd be real happy with a 300-400 MHZ improvement on that at the same voltage, for sure.

- Chris

proth said:
This makes #4.... 5 GHz or it's eBay time again

Good luck, I have not seen any hit 5ghz.

Should have just bought the 955XE, would have been cheaper, and you would have your 5ghz.

BTW I almost have enough put away to buy the 955XE, a couple more weeks baby, would love to get an ES 955(new).

Any volt mods on the board (Vdroop woud be a givin)? what PSU and have you tested the rails with a DMM?

So what's the verdict proth? No word from you, so either 1) it sucks or 2) it's killer and you've been benching all night ;)

The answer is:

#1, The worst of them all.........4.0 GHz is the limit.

This chip was an RMA direct from Intel. So far the cost of going through the (4) 930s after the 1st one is 135 bucks. Actually made money on the last one that was sold on eBay to a guy in France that is very happy with it @ 3.46GHz. One thing that helps me is I get free shipping, so eBay shipping charges go directly in my pocket. My 955 cost was under 1K, So the total CPU cost for me is $1,135, assumming I can break even on this one.

That's it for me and any more 9xx series and I'll just I'll just run the 955 till conroe. http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/8826/cpuz2tp.png

@Ranger. My 1st 930 was 5.0GHz stable on AIR. Ross lucked out and also has a 930 5.4GHz stable of phase.

@iajcl...man I hope you still don't have them all and sold them for a small loss. The first one took 1.54v for 4.75 stable, from what I recall.

@greenmaj...mobo is P5WD2-E and had a Vdroop and Vdimm mod and easily handles 5+ GHz. Power supply is 600SLI-ADJ, the one with (2) 20A rails for V1 and V2 which go to the mobo's CPU supply header. Video and all other 12v have a seperate supply.

Last edited:
proth said:
Power supply is 600SLI-ADJ, the one with (2) 20A rails for V1 and V2 which go to the mobo's CPU supply header. Video and all other 12v have a seperate supply.

Do you mean the CPU is fed by both 12v rails? If so, then how do you mean a separate rail is feeding video, etc.? A separate power supply altogether?

Also, I am pretty sure the 600SLI has been shown to hold some Pentium D overclocks back, as evident by the gleaming success of the 520 watt unit in its' place. Are you sure the PSU isn't coming into play somehow here? I'm not sure the CPU gets fed by both 12v rails. Perhaps your limitation isn't the chips per se, but the power requirement variations between chips. My 930 takes 1.425 in bios to do 4Ghz, albeit I haven't done the droop mod so I'm sure if I had it's be much lower vcore requirement.

@proth, that stinks. What's wrong with the 955 (other than price) that you wanted to get another 930 anyway? Mine is going under DI this weekend :D

Cat5 (cool handle). The OCZ600SLI-ADJ has (2) 20A Rails V1 and V2.
Both rails feed the CPU via the (2) 4 pin molex headers, 1 rail per core on a presler setup. The problem with the PSU is that V2 is also used for Video, fans, etc, etc...
My setup is dual supply with the OCZ dedicated for CPU power. There is a relay that the OCZ energizes that turns on another supply that runs video, fans, etc. I know this setup works because I've been over 5.3GHz with in on the 955 and previous 930.

Ross, the 955 is great and definately a keeper. The 930 I just got was the RMA for the 930 that the IHS, uh...um...fell off. Yes, I know it's bad to RMA stuff you broke and doinf so only screws up the chances for "decent" people to get RMAs. But I went to Intel for the RMA and not a distributor. To me, that's a different story. But let's not start this debate, please...

EDIT: Good luck on DI.. watch the TIM...and please don't mess up that fantastic 930...I guarantee you will never get another one like that. Trust me,I know

LOL, that's why I started with the 661 on DI :D It's still running, so I guess I can brave sticking the 930 in there...today or tomorrow, not sure. I am bleeding a water loop for the NB right now. It's been on the stock sink+fan forever, but if it gets anywhere near 6GHz, that will be 400FSB. It's been to 406FSB on the NB sink+fan with the 670, but I don't want to take any chances of that being a hold up here. I've actually been looking for the Alphacool mosfet waterblock, but can't find anyone in the US that has them. The last time I ordered direct from alphacool (Germany), it took 2 months to get my block so that's pointless...Conroe will probably be out before I'd get it, LOL.

My 930 is/has been the WR holder for 930s (and all non-XE Preslers I *think*) and that's just on the SS. I need to stretch that lead out AND go for a 100% OC, but I am more curious to bench it >5.5GHz if at all possible. I am going to put the x1900 on the SS today, so there should be some real nice 3Ds coming over the weekend....assuming the x1900 doesn't have a cold bug that is.

Back