• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGP 6800NU blew up?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kiyoshilionz

I was opening an anime file (OGM) with Windows Media Player Classic, and after about 5 seconds of playing, the screen went blank, but the audio kept going. A little bit later the computer rebooted.

I haven't been able to get it to start up right unless I'm in Safe Mode, I tried a couple System Restores and reinstalling the Forceware NVIDIA drivers. Still couldn't get it to boot normally. Then I deleted the drivers for the video card and now I am running regular Windows (w/o safe mode) but without any video card drivers.

Think this thing blowed up?

I just tried installing the drivers and it did the same thing. Blank screen, unresponsive computer, won't boot normally.

Sounds like an excuse to move to S939, PCI-E, and all that goodness

So when you delete the card drivers it works normally? You might want to check to see if you can play that video with a backup card, but it is probably the card.

if you have a display, you havent damaged the card, this sounds like a driver corruption - find some program to completely clean reminants of corrupted drivers, it is these elements that could be corrupting your new driver installs. To be sure you can re-format your HDD and re-install everything, drivers in all, clean start. There really shudnt be an issue with your hardware unless you fiddled with it, ie static damage to a particular component on the PCB, some overclocking screw, of which many i can think of, but we wont go into that.

I uninstalled the drivers via the "Add/Remove Programs" thing in the control panel. Same result upon installation of the drivers - screen went blank and locked up. The screen came on a while later with a really messed up looking display. Artifacts or whatever were popping up everywhere and there was an error message saying that the drivers weren't working right.

I kinda don't want to go through the trouble of reformatting again, but it may be the only option...

Last edited:
reformat completely.. it doesnt take too long, took an hour in total, maybe less for me.. windows was installed completely (including NTFS reformats) within 15 mins on my SATA 250gb, then driver installs were all off of the CDs i have, installed in no time thru hardware manager, delete hardwares - scan for changes - insert discs and follow wizards. This was a common occurence during the early OC days, kept corrupting my MBR :bang head , but thanks to the discovery of my AGP/PCI lock - those days are gone :)

Back