• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I stripped the threads on the barbs for my res...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

I stripped the threads on the barbs that go into my swiftech mcro res :( my fault was using a wrench to snug them up. I guess I snugged too much. Do I just need to order new barbs, or shall I just get an entirely new res?

First build not going well already :(

how bad are they stripped? you might be able to seal it with some silicon seal, or use a nut from the inside of the res to hold the barb with an O Ring. take a piccie

sorry, at my dad's (he has all the tools) I don't have access to a camera. i can feel it "leg go" as i start to tighten it. this means it doesn't have much pressure on the o-ring. I'm going to order a couple barbs and hand tighten only this time.

Well you have two options. One is Drill it oversize and retap but that is probably not a good option. Option 2 is a bit more involved but it should work. Take one of the barbs and remove the O-Ring Wrap the barb once in teflon tape make sure you wrap the tape in the direction you would tighten the barb. Now you can either try to tighten it again which I don't reommend since it sounds like you stripped it pretty bad. OR

Get some JB weld mix it sparingly and spread it on the inside of the hole over the threads carefully. You don't need much at all just a dab will do you. A Very thin and I mean thin coat. once you have a nice very thin coat thread your barb into the hole about a 1/3 of the way. This is where you pay close attention to what the JB-Weld comes in contact with you may want to tape off most of the surrounding area of the hole. Ok so once you have the barb threaded in about half way. Leave it there for a about 20 minutes or so. Then remove the barb before it sets. It should leave some nice starter threads in the hole. If the teflon tape comes off so what, It is there to make sure you don't weld your barb into the hole permanently. it can stay there with no ill effects for now. Wait 24 hours then using the proper sized tap, (You will need to know what thread the barb you are using is), Re-tap the hole chasing the the threads you already made with your barb. This will ensure it is straight and clean up the threads and then cutting the rest of the threads at the bottom of the hole will give it strength. Flush the Radiator and then reattach the barb and tighten snugly and all should be well. That is what I would do.

EC thank you for the suggestion. I am going to call swiftech to see if they will have any mercy on me, maybe sending me new barbs, or maybe an RMA. WCing has been an ambition of mine for a long time, though. I will make something work.

They wont rma if you caused the damage yourself unfortunatly. If you dont feel like spending the money on a new res, just use a T fitting. dirt cheap, you can get it at a hardware store and that with a cap is only like $5. will get you watercooling in no time =)

As long as you're getting some bite on the threads, I'd just use some RTV sealant and let it sit for 24 hours. The bite will keep the barbs from pulling out when you attach the hoses and the RTV will keep it sealed--much cheaper than buying a new res.

good suggestion about the t-line, but there is no immediate rush, still waiting for my vid card to come back. I talked to the nice people at swiftech, and he was pretty sure I just need new nylon barbs, which I will hopefully be able to get from www.sidewindercomputers.com. they have the clear version which works with apogee, i'm hoping it works with this res, too as i need to order something from there anyway.

Henry new barbs are ~$3 a piece at any small hardware store (Aubuchon or Ace). Bring in your current ones and match 'em up, you can get going again in no time.

No worries buddy you're going to love your WC setup.

Back