• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CAUTION: Nudity Inside!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tay

Lol, tay is crazy..... don't let him near your pc.

Naked opty 165:
ihs.jpg

Tools used:
floss.jpg

Took about 8*C off my load temps! I'm getting about 45*C load with 1.55 volts! (cpu running at 2.7). *edit* forgot to say that the fan is on LOW on my si-97 a

Oh, and kids: don't try this at home ;)

Last edited:
That looks like you did a good job, and I think thats floss in the bottom pic.
Nice title, btw.

Cool. I always remove the IHS, and my preferred tool is an adjustable paperknife. I lock the blade at approx 4mm, cut through the glue in one of the corners, and work my way around. It only takes a few seconds, except for that time when I bent the pins a little...

Yea, it's floss. I had to put an SI-97 A on him because the stock one doesn't make good contact. I got some little pads form my dead xp-m (rip) that I'm gonna stick on next time I take the heatsink off.

Oh, it took atleast an hour :cool:

do you put anything around/outside the core to prevent shorting to the HSF or is it not an issue?

_damien_ said:
Cool. I always remove the IHS, and my preferred tool is an adjustable paperknife. I lock the blade at approx 4mm, cut through the glue in one of the corners, and work my way around. It only takes a few seconds, except for that time when I bent the pins a little...

I stick the proc in a NOT dense peice of styrofoam. Keeps it nice in stable while i operate...

No, I didn't use anything to put around the core. The core is the highest thing on the chip so nothing else will touch the heasink. Looks just like an xp except bigger.
I used the foam that came with the cpu (the black stuff in the bottom of the 'lil plastic case) and it seemed to do really well. By the time I was done, all the pins were stuck deep into it, and only one was slightly bent.

A little as5 and all is good! lovin' the temps tho... right now it's 43*C @1.475v with dual toast and the fan is on low :)

I don't know if you're yankin' my chain Flip-Mode, but thats an old trick- works really well on northbridge heatsinks and such.

itshondo said:
I don't know if you're yankin' my chain Flip-Mode, but thats an old trick- works really well on northbridge heatsinks and such.
First time I've heard it, I have never in my 4 years of modding and OCing seen this method.

Man, I'm taking the plunge. 8C???? I could really use 8C...even if its like 4C or 2C...that much less C is that much quieter my fan gets at night! Where is that guide Tay!

Dang, I'm only just starting, and 8C is absurdly tempting. You need one of those SlimFast disclaimers: "Julie lost 105 pounds in 4 weeks! *results not typical"

lol. Once I hit the heat wall, I may just try this as well. Soooo scary, but soooo tempting.

Back