• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ALL Phase Changer! MUST READ! great article

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XeonStrikeForce

I just found this awsom article that realy helped

The reduction in chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) and hydrochlorofluorocarbon (HCFC) production and the scheduled phase-out of these ozone-depleting refrigerants require the development and determination of environmentally safe refrigerants for use in heat pumps, water chillers, air conditioners, and refrigerators. This paper presents a performance evaluation of a generic heat pump with two azeotropic refrigerant mixtures of HFC-134a (1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane) with R-290 (propane) and R-600a (isobutane); R-290/134a (45/55 by mass percentage) and R-134a/600a (80/20 by mass percentage). The performance characteristics of the azeotropes were compared with pure CFC-12, HFC-134a, HCFC-22, and R-290 at the high temperature cooling and heating conditions including those using liquid-line/suction-line heat exchange. The coefficient of performance of R-290/134a is lower than that of HCFC-22 and R-290, and R-134a/600a shows higher coefficient of performance than CFC-12 and HFC-134a. The capacity for R-290/134a is higher than that for HCFC-22 and R-290, and R-134a/600a exhibits higher system capacity than CFC-12 and HFC-134a. Experimental results show that the discharge temperatures of the studied azeotropic mixtures are lower than those of the pure refrigerants, CFC-12 and HCFC-22.

Thats just a quick pre face heres the whole PDF article >>
http://fire.nist.gov/bfrlpubs/build94/art004.html

Basicly it talks about the performance of two drop in replacments for R-12 and R-22 based off TetraflouroEthan and IsoButan and Propane as azeotropic Mixtures Very use full!

And found this very nice safety chart for diferant refridgerants >
http://www.refrig.com/zrefrigerantsafetyclass.htm

Last edited:
awesome article! thanks man.

its so funny that i've learned more about chemistry by phase-change cooling than i did in two semesters of chemistry in college...

azeotropic mixtures are da'bomb

I just talked to a friend that does HVAC and he can get me recycled R-12 free, the question is it worth it to bother?, nice thing I have several R-12 TXVs and compressors but then again a bit of effort to use the mixes listed in the article will out perform it! So my question is: Should I take him up on the offer, get a small cylinder and get some good ol R-12? or just take the time and practice my mixing?

Thanks in Advance!

Back